Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit

Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit

Hello All,
First post, long time lurker! I want say to the info on this forum is great & saved me many headaches & money!

I just installed the RK 2.5" stock mod kit with bilstein shocks, I am very impressed with the quality of their kit.

Anyways....

When I first bought the jeep I had problems with DW with stock setup. The dealer installed new front rotors & calipers & SS. They told me the caliper was seizing up which caused this.... Well, Im pretty sure these episodes caused the wallowing of my track bar holes slightly, but the problem went away.

Fast forward after installing my lift kit...

Now I am having issues when driving on the highway. When I hit a bump going over 60 my front end slowly shakes and turns into full on death wobble.

I have spent numerous hours under my jeep checking all torgues & bushings (following Planmans Guide) & screwing around with tire pressures. Im going out right now to weld washers to my track bar brackets but I really dont think this is the cause of my DW. I had my front end aligned after the lift and also retorqued all blots with the tires on the ground.

This is getting very frustrating and discouraging, I'm ready to burn my
jeep and collect the insurance.

What would cause my DW at speeds only greather than 60? Could a shity alignment be the cause?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure if Rock Krawler does work at their shop but they are 15 minutes from where I work in NY, I'm going to try and call them tomorrow to see if I could pay them to correct the problem, plus I want some lower CA's Its getting too cold out to try and do this alone!

Thanks for reading !
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

The track bar is always the number 1 suspect.

Last edited by Rhino64; 12-05-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wallowed trackbar holes can def cause DW.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys,

Im welding in washers now on all 4 holes. Its tough to try and sneak the welds in on the back of the bracket. The original holes arent that bad as far as play but there is def more than the washers. Im putting on my toyo M/T tomorrow so hopefully this combinations will get rid of this.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccamnu09
Thanks guys,

Im welding in washers now on all 4 holes. Its tough to try and sneak the welds in on the back of the bracket. The original holes arent that bad as far as play but there is def more than the washers. Im putting on my toyo M/T tomorrow so hopefully this combinations will get rid of this.
Take a pic or video of the bolt though the hole so we can see how wallowed it is..
Old 12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Definitely fix up the track bar first.
Try more negative caster.
Check the ball joints, I was told some of them can go bad as early as 40k.
Good Luck
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

i found one of my problems to be the stock sway bar links. being there to small when u hit a bump it wollos out the holes and causes play in them.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ball joints
Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take some pics along the way if you've got time. Thx!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:18 AM
JK Freak

I've driven Vehicles that have had bad ball joints,you can get a lot of shimmy and shake but not death wobble.However some people might mistake it as death wobble. Just saying.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble After Bumps @ 60 MPH+ RK 2.5 Stock Mod Kit