Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble - add me to the list!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
No not normal, replace it. Bushing is toast.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar offers to fix death wobble on their 03-08 Dodge Ram heavy duty solid axle 4x4 t

I found an interesting site that Mopar offers to fix death wobble on their 03-08 Dodge Ram heavy duty solid axle 4x4 trucks

http://www.klmstore.com/Mopar-09-Ste...2500/3500.aspx

The Mopar 2009 Dodge Ram Steering Linkage Upgrade Kit improves the original design by linking the front wheels together.

The Mopar 2009 Dodge Ram Steering Linkage Upgrade Kit eliminates independent toe in and out of the front tires.

The design goal behind the new T-Type Mopar 2009 Dodge Ram Steering Linkage Upgrade Kit was to reduce uneven tire wear and help prevent “ Death Wobble”.

Dodge Ram trucks built between 2003 and early 2008 have the old Y Type Steering Linkage.

By installing the new T-style Mopar 2009 Dodge Ram Steering Linkage Upgrade Kit you will be helping to reduce your exposure to death wobble.

Death Wobble occurs in the Dodge ram trucks when one or more of the following conditions are present.
• Tires of incorrect load rating are installed.
• Incorrect tire pressures
• Track Bar ends have excessive play
• Balls Joints have excessive play
• Steering Gear Box is worn
• Tie Rods are worn

"Daimler Issued A Technical Service Bulletin # 22-005-06 On 10/07/2006 For 4x4 Models 2500/3500 Shimmy On Rough Road After Hitting Bump Or Pothole.
They Want Steering Damper Inspected For Resistance Both Ways After Removing.
Replace Damper With New P/n 52106909ae If Fails Test. Front Tire Air Pressures At65 Psi For 235/80r17e And 245/70r17e Tires, 60psi For 265/70r17e And 285/70r17e.
They Also Want Tie Rod Ends Inspected For Play .045 Max. Also Inspect Dust Cover On Tie Rod Ends And See If Can Be Rotated By Hand Or Is Free Or Loose.
If Cover Is Free Or Loose Replace Regardless If No Play. Applies To Model Years 2003-2007
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

I had some shimmy that was due in part to an out-of-balance tire and a loose track bar jam nut.
Check your nutz!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
yo people. relax! i can get a good prescription of valium for you.
this guy is simply asking what people suggest for helping him with the death wobble issue he had. He's not trying to start a cult here.
breathe in. breathe out.
GOOD! We're making progress!
Dude, just trying to enlighten and inform. I sware I was not profusely sweating and gasping for breath when sending out my reply! I just think it's ironic that Mopar is fixing a production issue with Dodge trucks with similar but not exact design characteristics as our beloved JK's. Our tie rods, drag link ends and ball joints are not Greasable and have plastic in them. Death wobble should not occur and should not be part of an accepted culture of owning a Jeep. Yeah, bad mileage, lack of luxury items are accepted; hazardous driving conditions with constant 110 point checklist for the front suspension should not be. There I will go get my chill pill aka Shiner Bock Beer.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

It's all good JK brother!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckLisa

Dude, just trying to enlighten and inform. I sware I was not profusely sweating and gasping for breath when sending out my reply! I just think it's ironic that Mopar is fixing a production issue with Dodge trucks with similar but not exact design characteristics as our beloved JK's. Our tie rods, drag link ends and ball joints are not Greasable and have plastic in them. Death wobble should not occur and should not be part of an accepted culture of owning a Jeep. Yeah, bad mileage, lack of luxury items are accepted; hazardous driving conditions with constant 110 point checklist for the front suspension should not be. There I will go get my chill pill aka Shiner Bock Beer.
Well said. DW and a sloppy front end should not be accepted on any vehicle let alone one that costs over 25K!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
Well said, ditto on your entire post
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I've got it too! Mine gets easier to trigger when turning to the left. Luckily when I'm on the highway and I know it's a possibility I turn off the ESP and when it hits I just down-shift and floor it and 95% of the time it will disrupt the rhythm of the bounce and shift momentum and weight to the back and it stops.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble - add me to the list!