Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble - add me to the list!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay
Jeep really needs to address the DW issue. I get shit scared thinking about this stupid DW issue every time I see a post. And I see a new thread almost daily from someone who just had DW.

I personally think its shameful for the people that work at Jeep to have such a shitty problem on such a legendary vehicle and overlook it. Have any deaths occurred as a direct result of DW in a Wrangler?

I mean what will it take Chrysler to publicly recognize the issue let alone correct it. Because replacing the steering stabilizer sure as heck isn't a fix. Its just a bandage on a much larger problem.

The way I see it after reading and understanding it a bit more is if you replace pretty much your whole front suspension with beefier more wear resistant parts you can solve DW for good. I dont even know what to say in the matter of wether DW is caused by tires or not. Thats entirely a separate debate.
X2 on this.

It's entirely ridiculous to sell a vehicle with such a large flaw. Let alone expect an owner to continually have to check an torque a suspension and constantly replace parts at the first sign of wear. I've never had to do any of that on any vehicle I've ever owned.

Now everyone will say the only fix is IFS
and we don't want that.

Well guess what? Not everyone is a rock crawler. I would gladly take IFS to get rid of this issues once and for all and guess what?

My jeep what still do what I want it to do. Take me down most trails, take me camping with the top and doors off. All without the fear and headache of DW.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just last weekend I helped Devil Jeep with DW. What we found is a hairline crack in his stock TB in the loop where it connected to the axle. Swapped with a new factory TB and no DW. Check your TBs very closely for a crack.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is this normal (click to view video)

This is the drivers side sway bar link as seen through the top of the front bumper. I'm twisting the top of the link with my left hand (holding camera with the right). Passenger's side is the same.

Would this contribute to the shimmy/looseness I'm experiencing?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo
Is this normal (click to view video)

This is the drivers side sway bar link as seen through the top of the front bumper. I'm twisting the top of the link with my left hand (holding camera with the right). Passenger's side is the same.

Seems to me that the link should not be twisting like that. I don't know for sure if a loose link contributes to DW but it contributes to shimmy from my own experience. My shimmy was reduced when I tightened my sway bar links. To eliminate the shimmy completely, I ordered a flip kit. Hope it cures it for good.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Death wobble

I experienced Death Wobble many times when hitting a bump in the road. I tighten the track bar,control arms, swaybar links you name I tighten it. Still experienced D.W. I talk to Dave at Northridge 4x4 and he suggested the Currier tie rod and drag linkage.

I changed out the tie rods and the draglinkage to the Currier heavy duty parts no more Death Wobble are Bump Steer!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Hi guys. Does it seem to happen more to mud tires then AT tires? Not assuming anything, just asking.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TKJEEP
I experienced Death Wobble many times when hitting a bump in the road. I tighten the track bar,control arms, swaybar links you name I tighten it. Still experienced D.W. I talk to Dave at Northridge 4x4 and he suggested the Currier tie rod and drag linkage.

I changed out the tie rods and the draglinkage to the Currier heavy duty parts no more Death Wobble are Bump Steer!
I am getting the Currie Tie rod but will install a Moog aftermarket Greasable end for the flipped drag link. It's made for the Ram Heavy duty trucks from the early 2000's.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

However, my JK has developed a disconcerting 'shimmy' at around 60MPH. This is NOT DW, it's a shimmy (and trust me, I know the difference). Both times that I did have death wobble, it started with rough pavement, that lead to a shimmy, that transitioned to death wobble. As stated above, I have not had a re-occurence of death wobble, but I do have a shimmy and it's very disconcerting because it sometimes shimmy's enough that it feels as if it could transition to death wobble. To clarify - the 'minor' shimmy is there at any speeds around 60MPH, and rough pavement makes the shimmy 'major' - but it is not death wobble.

I've had the wheels balanced and rotated 3 x times. I've also had bearings and ball joints inspected by two different shops. I just can't get rid of the shimmy though and it is constant. Because it feels like the pre-cursor to death wobble, it makes for very tense highway driving. It feels as if DW is just waiting to happen again with the right combination of expansions joints and/or rough highway. I also find myself hanging out in the slow lane just in case DW occurs and I need to pull over.

In short - it sucks.

As soon as I get a break in the weather, I'm going to remove the levelling kit and get another alignment. My toe in was fine, but my caster was low (around 3.2 from memory). I'll remove the levelling kit, re-torque everything, get another alignment and then see where things stand.
Sounds like you ad I are having the same issue. My wife got DW last week which I believe was a result of the jam nut loosening off the trac bar. Not sure yet if there is anything else loose but it doesn't appear that way. I was out of town all this week but she told me there has been a shimmy at certain speeds. We thought we felt something before I went way but the roads were soooo bad here that it was hard to tell. We had it checked and were told that the front drive shaft was starting to go bad.

WELL, I got back yesterday and as soon as I drove it I could feel a strong and distinct wobble/vibration around 55-60 km/hr and then again around 70 km/hr. I haven't pushed it past that speed for fear of what will happen. I can feel it now as the roads are clear of ice and snow. It definably feels speed related but I've never had a drive shaft go bad before.

I've had the tires balanced twice and I rotate regularly. My wife took it in while I was away because she thought the shimmy was balancing related. The tech said he checked the front end and everything was tight. The tech suggested that the shimmy was coming from the DS. I wonder if the episode of DW forced my already weak front DS to get worse? I'm gonna get the front shaft off again tomorrow and see what happens.

This whole thing pisses me off. I've worried about getting DW ever since reading about it and I'm pissed that my wife had to be the one driving when it kicked in. I'm pissed that this is such a wide spread problem and that it happens so easily. I'm actually contemplating trading in my rig (which I have loved) for another 4x4 that my wife can still use as a DD and for the odd camping trip. I can handle it if I'm driving and something happens but when it's the love of my life alone behind the wheel I have to ask myself what's more important? A rig capable of extreme off roading or one that is safe and can still afford us some enjoyable out door experiences.

Last edited by Northern Wrangler; 01-30-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi

For all those dealing with the death wobble nightmare, please file a complaint with the NHTSA here on this dangerous problem..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is this normal (click picture to view video)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Death Wobble - add me to the list!