Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble - add me to the list!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Death Wobble - add me to the list!

Damn!

Mostly stock 2007 Sahara with 80K miles. Did the Teraflex levelling kit about 5K miles ago - retorqued the track bar after the install and centered the steering wheel. Have had no wobbles or shakes of any kind. Installed a Teraflex steering damper just before Xmas - no real reason other than I thought the stock one might be due for replacement. Again, no wobbles or shakes after the damper install.

Most of my driving is highway in the 65 to 80 MPH range - today I hit a small bump on the highway and felt a slight shudder through the wheel that I had never felt before. 5 minutes later, another bump and BAM - full on death wobble at 65MPH. I've seen the videos and read the stories but that is some nasty, scarey, out of control stuff. No wonder it damages other components - it is VIOLENT .

Managed to get the Jeep pulled off the highway but the DW didn't subside until I was almost completely stopped. Took a minute to compose myself, then pulled away again - figured I'd drive s-l-o-w-l-y to the next exit. So much for that idea - around 45MPH, I hit another irregular spot and BAM - full on death wobble again .

This time I stayed on the shoulder until the next off-ramp and drove on back roads until I could get home safely.

I'm going to print out the checklist I've seen in other threads (planman?). I'll start by removing the trackbar completely to check everything out. I have to be honest, my first thought is to pull the levelling kit and steering damper, return the thing back to stock, fix the problem and trade it on something other than a Wrangler. Having experienced DW first hand, I'm suprised that no-one has been hurt or killed as a result of it occurring at highway speeds...
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

I agree it amazes me that a company can sell a vehicle that exhibits such a scary and dangerous problem the second one little thing is off/worn in the suspension. I know a million people will chime in an say well it's part of having a solid axle, however if this is a "feature" of the solid axles then they should disclose it before you plunk down 26k on a vehicle that should provide reliable transportation. Instead we all get ticking time bombs.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi

I also highly recommend you file a safety complaint here..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo
Damn!

Mostly stock 2007 Sahara with 80K miles. Did the Teraflex levelling kit about 5K miles ago - retorqued the track bar after the install and centered the steering wheel. Have had no wobbles or shakes of any kind. Installed a Teraflex steering damper just before Xmas - no real reason other than I thought the stock one might be due for replacement. Again, no wobbles or shakes after the damper install.

Most of my driving is highway in the 65 to 80 MPH range - today I hit a small bump on the highway and felt a slight shudder through the wheel that I had never felt before. 5 minutes later, another bump and BAM - full on death wobble at 65MPH. I've seen the videos and read the stories but that is some nasty, scarey, out of control stuff. No wonder it damages other components - it is VIOLENT .

Managed to get the Jeep pulled off the highway but the DW didn't subside until I was almost completely stopped. Took a minute to compose myself, then pulled away again - figured I'd drive s-l-o-w-l-y to the next exit. So much for that idea - around 45MPH, I hit another irregular spot and BAM - full on death wobble again .

This time I stayed on the shoulder until the next off-ramp and drove on back roads until I could get home safely.

I'm going to print out the checklist I've seen in other threads (planman?). I'll start by removing the trackbar completely to check everything out. I have to be honest, my first thought is to pull the levelling kit and steering damper, return the thing back to stock, fix the problem and trade it on something other than a Wrangler. Having experienced DW first hand, I'm suprised that no-one has been hurt or killed as a result of it occurring at highway speeds...
Well I am generally in the same position, put the tf leveling kit on and was ok for about 1,000 miles, then hit a bump on the highway and BAM! So here is what I did. I loosened all of the front control arms and tracbar and shook the jeep. I did notice some metal shavings in the upper tracbar mount. Well after everything was re torqued to spec the DW went away, but I unfortunately still get shakes when hitting bad bumps at high speeds. Since everything is tight and not broken it looks like I am going to have some washers welded to my front tracbar mount, I am about 99.99% sure this will solve the problem. The thing to remember is once you get everything re torqued you must check/re torque all of them after the first 50 miles. Hope this helps!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow - interesting responses.

So I removed the trackbar - both bushings are fine - no cracking or separation and no movement using Planman's screwdriver test. With the trackbar off, I reinstalled the bolts in both mounts. None of the holes look 'wallowed' but there is play in both; on the drivers side I can move the bolt about 1/8 inch from side to side, on the passengers side I can move the bolt slightly more than 1/8 inch from side to side.

I'm assuming this is at least part (if not all) of my problem and I'll need to have washers welded on to fix?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

I agree with CUFOORDGA. It appears from your profile that you have made some mods to your JK, but now your unhappy with the results. Take all the mods off and you will have a stock JK that will do everything you thought it would when you bought it. I have had two JK's and never had a problem with D/W or any of the other complaints I hear so much about. You need to consider what your going to do with your rig prior to putting on any mods, and even then, pay for the best and install correctly. Sorry, but it frustrates me when we get such bad press from the very people who drive the things. For me, I love my JK and have a hell of a great time in it.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont know about the guys above but some people report having death wobble issues with their bone stock jeeps straight from the factory..

so don't flame...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CUOFFRDGA
Who who who.
Hold on here. It not a solstice and it's not going to drive like one.
Put a lift on a solstice and see what happens.

Before you go start bitching to the government, think about things and try to get the Big Picture.
I am surprised the government still allows us to buy Wranglers. With all the bs the car companies have to get approved. Don't ruin it for those of us who are die hard Jeepers because you thought they looked cool and wanted one, now you don't like it. Cry cry cry.

You modified or had it modified from how the factory sent it out of the plant. Yes, it's a hard pill to swallow, but it's the fact. Just make sure when you report the vehicle you tell them you modified it.

I've got 5.5" of lift, I'm on 39.5 Pitbulls. Does it ride like. CTSV? No. If that's what I wanted, that's what I would have bought.

I had a lift, big tires on a solid axle F250 Super Duty and never had problems. Somehow, there is a problem when only one thing out of 50 some odd variables can be a tad off and death Wobble happens; yes even in a modified and lifted vehicle. Death Wobble has happened in bone stock JK's with stock tires. My lifted JK is 4.5 and 35's and drives better and handles corners better than when it was stock, but death wobble has occurred on occasion. I have seen many threads regarding this and I have spent some time, money and new parts to alleviate this. Now in my case it is being narrowed to the Goodyear MTR's despite them being balanced and rotated. Some have taken off the MTR's and put other brands on and DW disappears. I don't think my F250 would be that sensitive to tires like my beloved JK. Honestly, the JK should not be so damn sensitive!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I had a lift, big tires on a solid axle F250 Super Duty and never had problems. Somehow, there is a problem when only one thing out of 50 some odd variables can be a tad off and death Wobble happens; yes even in a modified and lifted vehicle. Death Wobble has happened in bone stock JK's with stock tires. My lifted JK is 4.5 and 35's and drives better and handles corners better than when it was stock, but death wobble has occurred on occasion. I have seen many threads regarding this and I have spent some time, money and new parts to alleviate this. Now in my case it is being narrowed to the Goodyear MTR's despite them being balanced and rotated. Some have taken off the MTR's and put other brands on and DW disappears. I don't think my F250 would be that sensitive to tires like my beloved JK. Honestly, the JK should not be so damn sensitive!
my friend mdmmd was running mtrk's and had dw... he changed them all to km2's and it fixed it.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo
Wow - interesting responses.

So I removed the trackbar - both bushings are fine - no cracking or separation and no movement using Planman's screwdriver test. With the trackbar off, I reinstalled the bolts in both mounts. None of the holes look 'wallowed' but there is play in both; on the drivers side I can move the bolt about 1/8 inch from side to side, on the passengers side I can move the bolt slightly more than 1/8 inch from side to side.

I'm assuming this is at least part (if not all) of my problem and I'll need to have washers welded on to fix?
I'm not experienced at this, but from everything I've read here, ANY play in the track bar and control arms can contribute to the problem. Spend a couple of dollars and get a new trackbar. What's your peace of mind worth?

As far as the other response, sure, report it to the government. That's the ticket. They'll put us all in tiny hybrids that only go 45mph.

Sorry, I don't want to live in that kind of country. I want the freedom to choose what to drive and deal with any consequences. If DW is a major concern, there are plenty of other capable 4x4's to choose from. Just rest assured a Jeep will always be there to pull you out.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble - add me to the list!