Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble??

Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Quadratec Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had it whe I had a bad toe in

I would have your toe checked. Mine was really bad it seems from the factory? After adjusting it everything (knock on wood) is OK. I only figured it out after I noticed my tires wearing really bad.

Ruby Red
Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rubyred
I would have your toe checked. Mine was really bad it seems from the factory? After adjusting it everything (knock on wood) is OK. I only figured it out after I noticed my tires wearing really bad.

Ruby Red
You know, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that doojer's toe-in was way off from the factory as well and enough so that it was causing his tire tread to scalop. Add a lift and this could be a potential source of DW.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

1. With a new lift and tires, the most likely culprit is the track bar. Tighten it, even if you don't think it looks or feels loose. Also check your control arms. After 1000 miles on a new lift, you really should re-tighten everything.

2. If the track bar tightening doesn't help, get your tires balanced. Yes, out-of-balance tires, especially the bigger they are, will cause the death wobble.

3. If none of that works, your control arms may be too short for your lift. Most of the time, you don't need to adjust control arms for a 3" lift, but sometimes you do--no two Jeeps are alike.

4. After doing all of that, if you still have some wobble, change your steering stabilizer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It occurs to me that jtlr never answered back on what brand/model lift he had. And before we all give him ideas on how to fix death wobble maybe we should find out if that is truely what he felt and not a bad case of bump steer.

A front track bar bracket that changes the angle of his track bar could cause that situation of right, left, right, left series of steering over corrections and esp corrections while breaking. He may have had a situation like that instead of actual death wobble. Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry took so long to get back( have to work to upgrade this thing) its a 3" tereflex. I have 35x12.5 procomps on the factory 17's with 1.25"spacers. It definately was not a bump steer issue.(although I do get that ocasionally)

So basicaly check the track bar? Then check balance in the tires?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

are your spacers torqued AND loc-tite ?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
are your spacers torqued AND loc-tite ?
Just torqued about 3000km ago I was told to checlk them every 5000km.(is this the correct thought on this)
Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

check them and apply red loctite. its a "safe" move and also eliminates one possible problem in under an hour.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going with toe-in. Happened with the TJ with only a 2.5 in. lift. Before you go spending the money for an alignment, tire balancing and spending countless hours under the Jeep trying to tighten tight bolts and over torqueing check out this write up. Checking toe-in, and then fixing is as easy using a tape measure.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by POTO
I'm going with toe-in. Happened with the TJ with only a 2.5 in. lift. Before you go spending the money for an alignment, tire balancing and spending countless hours under the Jeep trying to tighten tight bolts and over torqueing check out this write up. Checking toe-in, and then fixing is as easy using a tape measure.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm
If we were talking about a TJ here, then yes, I would absolutely agree with you. In fact, adjusting the toe-in is the first thing you should do right after installing any lift as the drag link on a TJ is directly connected to the tie-rod. But, we are talking about a JK here and as you may not be aware, the steering setup has been redesigned with the drag link connecting to the steering knuckle independent from the tie-rod. Needless to say, a lift will not effect your toe-in at all.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble??