Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble??

Old 05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble??

what could be the cause of a uncontrolable wobble after hitting a pretty sharp dip in the road while slightly turning?? Happened today and freaked me out a bit. I got the truck stopped and checked underneath but could see any thing broken or out of place. After that it seems to be driving fine.

Last edited by jtlr; 05-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which 3" lift do you have?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Number one cause is usually a track bar that is loose. Did you make sure to tighten yours to 125 ft. lbs. with the entire weight of the Jeep on the ground? Also, like Rubimon said, what type of lift and what all components do you have?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Wink Death Wobble

Originally Posted by jtlr
what could be the cause of a uncontrolable wobble after hitting a pretty sharp dip in the road while slightly turning?? Happened today and freaked me out a bit. I got the truck stopped and checked underneath but could see any thing broken or out of place. After that it seems to be driving fine.
Death wobble on 4 link coil suspensions is most often caused by tires out of balance. I know this for a fact cuz my WJ did it we spent a lot of time and money working the suspension until I watch it happen from outside the vehicle. We got the tires balanced and no more wobble, even over the worst Colorado roads.........
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

what is your toe in and caster angle ?

If you don't know this then you might wish to bring it in for an alignment or check yourself.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by sgmrock
Death wobble on 4 link coil suspensions is most often caused by tires out of balance. I know this for a fact cuz my WJ did it we spent a lot of time and money working the suspension until I watch it happen from outside the vehicle. We got the tires balanced and no more wobble, even over the worst Colorado roads.........
Ummm, I think you are confusing a rough ride or steering wheel shimmy due to tires that aren't balanced with a very serious, violent, out of control shaking of the entire vehicle to the point where you think you're going to crash due to a problem in your suspension and/or steering setup.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
what is your toe in and caster angle ?

If you don't know this then you might wish to bring it in for an alignment or check yourself.
Due to the steering setup on the JK, toe-in should not have been effected due to a lift... but, all things being equal, I have seen it be a source of DW. A lack of caster would most likey cause wandering but I hardly doubt it would be enough to cause DW. I think I would still check the track bar and make sure it is on to the appropriate torque setting. Also, if the control arms were removed and/or replaced during the install, I would check those bolts too.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Due to the steering setup on the JK, toe-in should not have been effected due to a lift... but, all things being equal, I have seen it be a source of DW. A lack of caster would most likey cause wandering but I hardly doubt it would be enough to cause DW. I think I would still check the track bar and make sure it is on to the appropriate torque setting. Also, if the control arms were removed and/or replaced during the install, I would check those bolts too.
yup, but I was thinking "new" as in tight and not worn bushings. Loose track bar would be #1 culprit.
his does sound like maybe over corrected bump-steer. What lift you running?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default My death wobble experience

I've posted elsewhere about the full deal - but my death wobble was the precursor to my track bar bracket shearing off the front axle. I would strongly recommend checking all the welds on it.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can get DW from "out of round" tires, but it usually happens in combination from bad alignment or bad control arm angles.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble??