Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default set up

Originally Posted by JKHUNTER
Ok. Got the car back. The boys at the workshop had a fun time figuring this one out. Basically they readjusted all the control arms, realigned the axles and all that camber and toe-in stuff. What they found was that even though the suspension i had was put in by a workshop (didn't do it myself) it was still out. For example the front and rear axles were not dead center, close but not quite. The front axle was also not parallel to the back one (arms were not adjusted properly) only by 1 degree or something like that. As the guys said, I noticed that too by the way, the wobble will only happen when driving straight, when turning or going around a bend it will not happen. That's definitely an alignment problem. Find a place that can do axle alignment and they should be able to help. Doing wheel balance to fix the wobble is a waaste of time from my experience. I've tried highways and bumpy roads and so far all clear. Mind you the guys did take almost two days to get it done. Tested it after each time they adjusted something, they said it took four goes to get every problem fixed. Hopefully this helps. Best wishes.

Thanks a lot for the post!

What is your complete set-up???
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKFreek
Ok, so today I get up to around 80, hit a bump and et some SERIOUSE death wobble. I can recreate it by hitting a bump again at the same speed.

I just had an alignment done, and I crawled under myself and made sure everything was torqued right. Nothing at all seems loose.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm running the stock stabalizer... Do you think it could be the stabalizer giving out? Unable to handle the movement of the tire on bumps?

Ohh and just so everybody know... It IS the death wobble. Very Violent shaking of the steering wheel, and tires, no control at all, and have to come to an immdiate stop. Very scary.

Cany anybody help me out?
A quick question .. I thought death wobble was when it is the violent shaking from the second you accelrate, through driving and doesn't stop until you stop!???? I might be confused ...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
A quick question .. I thought death wobble was when it is the violent shaking from the second you accelrate, through driving and doesn't stop until you stop!???? I might be confused ...
Usually it takes a bounce at highway speeds to trigger it.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default dw

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
From what Ive seen on the site and other TJ sites. The DW starts when the vehicle is already rolling. Otherwise if you got a wobble at low speeds it certainly would 'seem' as violent.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Replace your front steering with a high steer kit ad that will fix the problem. I lost my whole entire trackbar bracket on the front axle and have since repaired it. NO DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default high steer

Originally Posted by O2BDrty
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Replace your front steering with a high steer kit ad that will fix the problem. I lost my whole entire trackbar bracket on the front axle and have since repaired it. NO DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!
A high steer kit? I;m not overly familiar with this. Where do you get a good kit, and would it apply to such a small amount of lift?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

From what Ive seen on the site and other TJ sites. The DW starts when the vehicle is already rolling. Otherwise if you got a wobble at low speeds it certainly would 'seem' as violent.
thats what I was wondering .. I know people say higher speeds .. and low speeds .. like mine is from acceleration til' stop ... but its more a balance problems i think.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks a lot for the post!

What is your complete set-up???
I've got a Black JK Rubicon 2 door,
it's sitting on a 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex lift,
35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on M/T Classic Rims.
Custom modified Mopar front and rear bars.
Warn 9.5xp Winch,
HID converted headlights
PIAA windshield mounted spot lights,
i think that's about it..... for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK copy.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	12973  
Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

nope nothing wrong with the tires ..... my tie rod ends are worn .. which may be the problem .. dunno thouge besides that. My mechanic torqued everything down ..... underneath before it left for Georgia ..

who knows. I will see if it returns in Georgia.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same issues: TCS, ESP/BAS, and Death Wobble

Originally Posted by Seir
I had my TCS (skidding icon) and my ESP/BAS light come on two days ago and stay lit. I had to drive into Denver (no choice really) yesterday and when I was coming around an on-ramp (45-50mph) I think I found out the meaning of death wobble. I basically hit a small uneven patch in the ramp and lost control of the steering wheel as it jerked back and forth very very rapidly.

My first thought was a tire had blown but the Jeep remained level. I was able to pull off to the side (very little control) and come to a stop. Quick check around the Jeep and all looked fine so I continued without incident the rest of the way home.

Is this symptomatic of the wobble? I've driven that same ramp before without issue and thought it had to do with the malfunction in the traction control system noted above.

Strange thing is I called the dealership this morning and scheduled an appointment but as I was getting ready to leave I put the top and the doors back on the Jeep and the solid TCS/ESP/BAS lights went out. Drove around my street for a while (we live on a dirt road) and forced the TCS to activate and it seemed to work just fine. Not sure exactly what did what but it makes me a bit leary until I can make sure things are back to normal.

Drove my stock 07 JK for 6 months before getting 3.5" Rubicon Express SuperFlex Lift. About a week later, started getting the TCS/ESP/BAS indicator lights - usually in the same situation: on pavement, coming off the gas onto a right exit ramp going around 40mph. I've also gotten it just driving straight down the highway anywhere between 60-75 mph. I've had it in the dealer many times, and they've replaced the Brake Electronic Control Module. You can have your dealer check it, and if you've had this symptom, your ECM will indicate a failure. They've replaced it 3 times, but it continues to happen. They finally gave me the "You have an aftermarket suspension lift, so that voids the warranty" speech. I think Jeep didn't test the JK with lifts at all, and there's a problem with the ECM design. BTW, the indicator lights will generally stay on until you turn the jeep off. When you start it again, they will probably come on for about a minute, then turn off. There are some TSBs about this problem.

On the Death Wobble - here I am a year after doing the lift, and slowly started noticing a bounce in the steering wheel after hitting even the smallest bump in the road, like two different asphalt heights (1-2") coming together during a paving project. The worst came at just 40mph where the DW accelerated to the point of almost a complete loss of control. This is NOT a tire balance issue. This is a serious safety problem.

I took it to the shop where I had the lift installed, and after a full day of tinkering, all they could find is a loose track bar. They said on the JKs, the track bar needs to be checked often because the tend to loosen. I'll pick up the Jeep tomorrow and ask for more detail because if this is true even of non-lifted jeeps (what they implied on the phone today), the Jeep has a serious problem on its hands.

I've also been having a "Clank" in the front end for a little while now, too. From a stop to starting in first gear (stick), or slowing down to make a 90-degree turn, I've been hearing clanks near either wheel well or even center below. The shop said it's all related to the track bar, and after they tightened it up, they couldn't reproduce the clank. We'll see....

Lastly, after the lift was installed, I noticed the steering is much looser - and the faster the speed, the more lose the steering. At highway speeds, I can move the steering wheel 2-3 inches before the tires move. At crawling speeds it's more like 1" of play in the steering wheel.

So far, I think my 2000 TJ was a more solid Jeep than this JK, but the JK is surely a more comfortable ride, and I needed the 5th seat belt for the family trips. Such is life.

Last edited by davegus; 09-18-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble!!!!!