Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble!!!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but I had it Before the Lift (several times)!??v
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Had it for the second time this morning. Not fun!!!!! I think I'm going to change out the steering stabilizer and go from there.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyspike
I have posted here about the death wobble before. Well long story short, had it twice, dealer replaced steering stabilizer, ok. Lifted Jeep with 2.5 teraflex, had it again!, I replaced the Steering Stabilizer with a new Teraflex one. Worked for a month, Yesterday Had DEATH WOBBLE AGAIN! Same Bump on the Highway as before!.
Here's the problem, can't bring it to the dealer now, I have a different stabilizer on it. Everything seems tight down below, getting very frustrated and nervous driving it now.

Do you think the Tereflex one could be bad?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pull one end off and try to compress/extend it.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rangleme
Had it for the second time this morning. Not fun!!!!! I think I'm going to change out the steering stabilizer and go from there.
I' haven't had that wobble yet
Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RockD08
I' haven't had that wobble yet
you are not drinking enough then!

And no I wasnt drinking or even hungover but dang it does sober you up fast!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had my TCS (skidding icon) and my ESP/BAS light come on two days ago and stay lit. I had to drive into Denver (no choice really) yesterday and when I was coming around an on-ramp (45-50mph) I think I found out the meaning of death wobble. I basically hit a small uneven patch in the ramp and lost control of the steering wheel as it jerked back and forth very very rapidly.

My first thought was a tire had blown but the Jeep remained level. I was able to pull off to the side (very little control) and come to a stop. Quick check around the Jeep and all looked fine so I continued without incident the rest of the way home.

Is this symptomatic of the wobble? I've driven that same ramp before without issue and thought it had to do with the malfunction in the traction control system noted above.

Strange thing is I called the dealership this morning and scheduled an appointment but as I was getting ready to leave I put the top and the doors back on the Jeep and the solid TCS/ESP/BAS lights went out. Drove around my street for a while (we live on a dirt road) and forced the TCS to activate and it seemed to work just fine. Not sure exactly what did what but it makes me a bit leary until I can make sure things are back to normal.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

the lights could be due to a failure of something in the system or bad wheel alignment

you discription sound like a death wobble

all your nuts and bolts can be tight and you still have a wobble

tires out of balance, bushings start to wear out, and lack of grease in bushing can create a problem

I dont ever look at a steering stabilzer as a fix to death wobble in a properly adjusted steering system you do not need a stabilizer there purpose is to dampen the small bumps that you hit with larger tires

I had a wobble that was from me front trac bar bushing being shot it hard to tell if its a bushing without some one there to turn a wheel atleast for the front trac bar

the control arm bushing is a different story
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default more wobble stories

i have a none modified 2007 jk X 4dr....first time i had the wobble i had what could have been a heavy load on a utility trailer..(5x10 trailer loaded with brush), it started when i hit a rough patch of ashphalt at about 45, it wobled so bad i had to hit the brakes......i stopped and proceeded with caution. about a week later i was driving with an empty jeep with no trailer, i hit a small series of bumps on ashphalt and then it went to full wobble again.....
i am going to take it ot the dealer but he has already said that he only had one in befrore, and they changed the stabilizer and she said it only did it once after that.....so i agree that most of these wobbles might be from mods, but not all.....just pisses me off that i'm driving 27000 dollars worth of vehicle that i dont feel comletey safe in........sorry just venting.......
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

as said before, any kind of steering problem cannot be fixed with a new damper/stabilizer. sure, it seems like it fixed the problem but all it's doing is masking the problem. i laugh when i see rigs running 2 (sometimes 4) dampers. if the steering is properly built/adjusted and functioning properly the dampers should only assist in smoothing or DAMPING the road imperfections, not providing a sole means of stability and control. if you can't control the vehicle, the damper is not to blame. it may be shot due to absorbing the harshness transferred due to the faulty steering setup, and it should be replaced, but the steering still needs fixed. replacing a damper fixes nothing, it simply hides it. just my .02
Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

JCK -- What do you suggest? All looks good under there?

Quick Reply: Death Wobble!!!!!