Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wore out tie rod ends?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you may have found it.

To be on the safe side.

Get another person to help you.

Start the Jeep.
Put eyes on the track bar axle mount.
Then have the other person steer the wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left.
Check to see if the track bar moves at all.

If it does, it could mean that your bushing is worn or the bolt hole attachment has ovaled out.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 80 km/h

Originally Posted by JMP8562
DUDE 80mph are you kidding i have had the d-w at 45-48 mph i cant belive yr still alive im thinking that the whole suspension would just give out hey go play the lottery but anyways i would go and get a hd stabilizer for about $30.00 or what i got was that new duel set-up from rough country for about $130.00 shipped it will smoth out the ride and EASY to install

If you read my next post just below my first I advised that it was 50 mph so 80 km/h
Old 08-30-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 10-4

Originally Posted by Boxrcon
Sounds like you may have found it.

To be on the safe side.

Get another person to help you.

Start the Jeep.
Put eyes on the track bar axle mount.
Then have the other person steer the wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left.
Check to see if the track bar moves at all.

If it does, it could mean that your bushing is worn or the bolt hole attachment has ovaled out.

10-4. Thats a good idea. I'll check that for sure, I went wheelin today pritty hard in the mud. The new shock i installed performed amazing on and off road. No problems what so ever. and no DW no matter how fast I hit a pot hole.

Now all I need is a Teraflex steering stabalizer.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

My death wobble is completley gone. I put in a high steer kit. I had it so bad it broke the tracbar bracket off of the axle.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O2BDrty
My death wobble is completley gone. I put in a high steer kit. I had it so bad it broke the tracbar bracket off of the axle.
High steer??? I wasnt aware that there was a high steer for the JK yet? I can see putting the drag link knuckle over, but if you do the same with the tie rod the knuckle for the drag link gets in the way. What do you have???? I can only imagine that you would have to replace the entire hub to go knuckle over... If there really is a hight steer, Im gonna be pissed since I just put on the RK HD drag link and tie rod. Help me out here....
Old 08-31-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have posted here about the death wobble before. Well long story short, had it twice, dealer replaced steering stabilizer, ok. Lifted Jeep with 2.5 teraflex, had it again!, I replaced the Steering Stabilizer with a new Teraflex one. Worked for a month, Yesterday Had DEATH WOBBLE AGAIN! Same Bump on the Highway as before!.
Here's the problem, can't bring it to the dealer now, I have a different stabilizer on it. Everything seems tight down below, getting very frustrated and nervous driving it now.

Do you think the Tereflex one could be bad?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, But I had the Death Wobble BEFORE & After the Teraflex install.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

I have the death wobble as well and am riding on air. I took off the stock stabilizer and pushing with my hand, it goes in and out about 1 inch with no resistance either way. There was also fluid like the seal leaked. I have the fox and relo bracket so hope to have this resolved.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Death Wobble

Hi Guys,

My 2c worth: 99% of the time the Wobble is the result of modified suspensions.
When you take your vehicle to the average alignment shop, balancing, alignment and shocks are checked, but seldom the CASTOR. This is mainly because on most vehicles it is set with no adjustment possibilities.
When the vehicle is lifted, the angle of the castor changes, this causes the steering / pivot point to be forward of the contact point of the tyres on the ground, thus creating instability in direction. The steering stabiliser softens this effect, but is totally overworked and then gives up the ghost. Only now it starts creating problems and you discovers the problem.(Death wobble) Fitting new steering dampers / stabilisers only solves simptoms not the problem.
This is the reason why the more expensive Lift kit manufacturers, make all their components adjustable, so that factory aligment specs can be restored.

See following links for more:

1. http://www.whiteline.com.au/faqsusp01.htm#Camber%20-% 20What%20is%20it

2. http://hglmotors.co.uk/main/4w. shtml

Common tire ware problems:

3. http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/tyrewear.htm

For a solution look at the following link;

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 09-02-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Please refrain from posting direct (clickable) links to non sponsoring vendors

Quick Reply: Death Wobble!!!!!