Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble!!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble!!!!!

Ok, so today I get up to around 80, hit a bump and et some SERIOUSE death wobble. I can recreate it by hitting a bump again at the same speed.

I just had an alignment done, and I crawled under myself and made sure everything was torqued right. Nothing at all seems loose.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm running the stock stabalizer... Do you think it could be the stabalizer giving out? Unable to handle the movement of the tire on bumps?

Ohh and just so everybody know... It IS the death wobble. Very Violent shaking of the steering wheel, and tires, no control at all, and have to come to an immdiate stop. Very scary.

Cany anybody help me out?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI

When I say 80, i mean km/h so 50 mph
Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you just installed this kit?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

A stabalizer will only hide the problem, it wont fix it.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Teraflex

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
So did you just installed this kit?

No I had the kit on for about a year now. Never had any problems like this at all!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anybody actually died from the death wobble? I guess we wouldn't know.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JKFreek
No I had the kit on for about a year now. Never had any problems like this at all!
Did you retorque all the nuts and bolts? Any mud stuck in the rims?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you have the allignment done by a shop that understand's modified vehicles. The key to your post I think is that you just had an alligmnet done. They probably screwed up the toe-in or something similar. There aint much to alligning a jk, especially in your case since you dont' have any adjustable control arms. Something also to check is the balance on your tires.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I pulled the stabalizer off and compressed it by hand... It's shot. Big time. I can push it in with ease, and it sounds like liquid or something is leaqing from it. I compared the stabalizer with igotstucks stabalizer and there was a really big difference.

I put a small shock (for a car, and from a local shop) in the place of the stabilizer for now until I can get it to the dealer on Monday. The shock I put in works great. Way better than the stabalizer ever did. So i turned into a short term resolution.

The wobble has completely dissapeared!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKFreek
Ok, so today I get up to around 80, hit a bump and et some SERIOUSE death wobble. I can recreate it by hitting a bump again at the same speed.

I just had an alignment done, and I crawled under myself and made sure everything was torqued right. Nothing at all seems loose.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm running the stock stabalizer... Do you think it could be the stabalizer giving out? Unable to handle the movement of the tire on bumps?

Ohh and just so everybody know... It IS the death wobble. Very Violent shaking of the steering wheel, and tires, no control at all, and have to come to an immdiate stop. Very scary.

Cany anybody help me out?
DUDE 80mph are you kidding i have had the d-w at 45-48 mph i cant belive yr still alive im thinking that the whole suspension would just give out hey go play the lottery but anyways i would go and get a hd stabilizer for about $30.00 or what i got was that new duel set-up from rough country for about $130.00 shipped it will smoth out the ride and EASY to install

Last edited by JMP8562; 08-30-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: oooops i guess i should of read the whole thread before i commented now excues me while i pull my foot out sorry

Quick Reply: Death Wobble!!!!!