Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

death wobble

Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble

OK, background: Jeep just hit 80k, no wobble issues prior. Running MTZ 35's (33.25" really) Rotated every 5k, never balanced after being put on at 50k. Last time on the trail was Turkey Run the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Tires rotated by Jiffy Lube on Tuesday in modified X Pattern (if they are to be trusted) which included the spare. Inspected at dealership that same day, which should have included removal of a tire to check brakes.

So, anyway, yesterday I notice that I have a bit of wobble in the steering wheel between 5 and 10 mph but nothing violent. Figure the new tire locations just need to work themselves out. This morning I didn't even make it out of my development without violent DW at about 30mph. Immediately turn around and go back home. Change into (jeep) work clothes and did another 5 tire rotation and made sure everything was tight.

Everything was tight as could be, though I noticed a little play in the DS LCA where it connects to the frame. Not sure if this is natural or not, but the bolts were all tight. So, drove into work today staying off the major highway, about 25 miles, slowly got it up to 60mph with no issues at all.

Conclusions?
Maybe a really out of balance rear tire that got moved to the front during the rotation? Maybe JL or the dealership didn't torque down all the nuts and I had a loose tire? (in hindsight I shoulda checked that, but I was more concerned with fixing and getting to work)
There is some deeper issue I haven't found and the out of balance tire just cause that issue to come out of hiding?

I'm really hoping it was just a tire out of balance and nothing else. I can't imagine my jeep would be fine for 5 months after its last time on the trail and then spontaneously start this now immediately after a tire rotation. And yes, I have had other tire rotations after that trail ride.

should i consider this thing fixed?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After i installed my lift kit i did a tire rotation at the same time and started having shaking/wobbling in the front end. Re-tightened everything several times.
Had dealer replace all front Ball joints and tie rods. Issue was still there. Just had my tires balanced about 2k miles ago. Since i ran out of options, i swapped the front tires to the back and the back to the front. the shaking/wobbling issue stopped. The dealer recommended having the tires "road force balanced" so its a good chance if its not your BJs/Tie rods it could be your wheels

Edit: also check the torque on your trackbar, make sure its torqued to 125ft lbs

Last edited by Croce; 03-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I jumped out of work early today and on the suggestion of C&P Offroad (they installed my lift) I headed over to the new Donald B Rice shop in Manassas. They balanced all my wheels, and all were off, as well as did an alignment as I hadn't had one done since the left went on November of 2010. Alignment was only a little off. Sadly, on the way home, I got the DW again. They are saying it is the steering stabilizer and despite everything I have read, I'll let them replace it tomorrow morning to, at the least, rule that out.

So I have planmans guide

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...h+wobble+bolts

that i'll follow as well, and will also be ordering the bolt replacement kit from Northridge

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/nr...k-hardware-kit

Hopefully I will get this fixed soon. This is my daily driver and I'm open to any suggestions, or offers of help.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Croce
After i installed my lift kit i did a tire rotation at the same time and started having shaking/wobbling in the front end. Re-tightened everything several times.
Had dealer replace all front Ball joints and tie rods. Issue was still there. Just had my tires balanced about 2k miles ago. Since i ran out of options, i swapped the front tires to the back and the back to the front. the shaking/wobbling issue stopped. The dealer recommended having the tires "road force balanced" so its a good chance if its not your BJs/Tie rods it could be your wheels

Edit: also check the torque on your trackbar, make sure its torqued to 125ft lbs
what is this road balance of which you speak?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

You really don't have death wobble at all. Death wobble is at higher speeds and it absolutely scares the crap out of you. You slam on the brakes and slow way down before it stops. It occurs after hitting a bump, railroad track, etc:
The steering stabilizer won't help your situation at all. It will only mask a problem but not cause what you are feeling. There is a ton of information in this site on Death wobble. Read up on it before you spend a fortune and a lot of frustration for nothing. I have had death wobble and fixed it. This site was a lot of help. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Turbo is correct. A bad steering stab would not cause the issue you are experiencing. you can drive fine without a steering stab, all it does is mask the actual problem
Have the shop check out your Ball Joints as thats a big cause of shaking/wobbling

Road force balance is when they balance your tires on a special machine that simulates driving conditions rather than just balancing the wheel
tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=109&

as for the bolt replacement if you have a copperstate nearby. you can get the bolts for like $2 each

Last edited by Croce; 03-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

planmans guide is what you need to follow. I've experienced this first-hand several times, but only after installing my lift; never when everything was stock. It's a violant shake that feels like the whole Jeep is going to shake itself apart. You must slow to a stop, or darn close to it, just to get the thing to stop shaking. It's not a wobble or vibaration, it's violent!

I still have a small wobble when hitting bumps, but it's more of a little vibration. I'll eventually change my shocks and LCAs and it might fix that. Here's some of the things I did that helped, I'm just not sure which one, or a combination of more than one, actually did the job:

Replaced the front track bar with an adjustable JKS track bar.
Replaced the track bar bolts with 9/16s
Replaced my tires with new ones
Corrected the placement of passenger front spring. It wasn't seated in the bottom notch correctly.

This last one could have been my biggest problem but because I did all of this within a few days of each other, I can't be sure.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

i'm following planmans guide with the shop tomorrow. i am only replacing the ss to shut up the tech, I know it doesn't cause problems, only masks them. Trust me, I had DW in my WJ, I had it today twice now. It is a violent shaking that didn't stop until i pulled over and came to a complete stop. On the way back from the shop today it hit at 45mph. I don't really feel safe going over 30 at this point and I work 25 freeken miles away.

On the plus side, I'm using this as an excuse to get a rock krawler tie rod.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on the first post. I first inkling something may have been wrong was the rough vibration at 10ish mph yesterday. what I had this morning was truly violent full blown DW.

Last edited by finnd1; 03-29-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Part I:

I'm at c&p now and they fingered the track bar as the culprit just on what I told them. I spent the morning at rices tires repackaging the lca's to eliminate play and we found the trackbar bracket holes had indeed wallowed out. Welded on 1/2" washers to the brackets and got 9/16" bolts, but could only get them with 1.5" shoulder so I will be replacing them when I get the right ones. We noticed a bit of give on the trackbar bushings but neither of us knew if it was within spec.

I had really hoped that would do it but less than a mile away it hit again.

Part II:

OK, so total damage so far is that the bushings on the LCA's are shot, as well as those on the track bar. I just bit the bullet and rather than rebuilding everything with time and patience I just don't have, I ordered the TeraFlex HD Adjustable Track Bar and the Rock Krawler adjustable front LCA's. Ordered a hardware replacement kit as the same time to get the right sized bolts with the 2" shoulder(?) All this will compliment the RK Tie Rod and Currie TRE's I ordered yesterday.

This week is turning out to be an expensive nightmare and I just want it over and I know I need to knock out this problem at once or any remaining issue will continue to destroy my new parts. :|

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by finnd1
Part I:

I'm at c&p now and they fingered the track bar as the culprit just on what I told them. I spent the morning at rices tires repackaging the lca's to eliminate play and we found the trackbar bracket holes had indeed wallowed out. Welded on 1/2" washers to the brackets and got 9/16" bolts, but could only get them with 1.5" shoulder so I will be replacing them when I get the right ones. We noticed a bit of give on the trackbar bushings but neither of us knew if it was within spec.

I had really hoped that would do it but less than a mile away it hit again.

Part II:

OK, so total damage so far is that the bushings on the LCA's are shot, as well as those on the track bar. I just bit the bullet and rather than rebuilding everything with time and patience I just don't have, I ordered the TeraFlex HD Adjustable Track Bar and the Rock Krawler adjustable front LCA's. Ordered a hardware replacement kit as the same time to get the right sized bolts with the 2" shoulder(?) All this will compliment the RK Tie Rod and Currie TRE's I ordered yesterday.

This week is turning out to be an expensive nightmare and I just want it over and I know I need to knock out this problem at once or any remaining issue will continue to destroy my new parts. :|

Hope that resolved the problem. Have you tried contacting the manufactuer of your adj control arms to see if they could be replaced for free?

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-30-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: death wobble