Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
While you are diagnosing it, I recommend you file a complaint in this highly dangerous issue here..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
What dangerous issue?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn

What dangerous issue?
Hmm I don't the whole Jeep shaking uncontrollably until you muscle to a stop without crashing into any other animate or inanimate objects around you?

That dangerous issue.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Hmm I don't the whole Jeep shaking uncontrollably until you muscle to a stop without crashing into any other animate or inanimate objects around you?

That dangerous issue.
oh... this one: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfrGrl
BKGM - I'm have 33" nitro terra Trappists and 17" American eagle wheels. I ran out and took that pic real quick.
Those are good quality wheels and tires, so they most likely aren't the problem. However since you have access to the jk, did you see how much weight is on them, and if there are weights in more than one spot inside the rim?

Nice jeeps! Both of them!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn I didn't know they make a 2wd jeep LOL! I really hope you fix it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

That dangerous issue.
Jeep doesn't come from the factory with a death wobble...they develop after lifts, tires when something is missed or done wrong

Can't see filing a complaint over something the manuf didn't cause?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by L1Star
Jeep doesn't come from the factory with a death wobble...they develop after lifts, tires when something is missed or done wrong

Can't see filing a complaint over something the manuf didn't cause?
well.. most cars that have recalls on something dont "come from the factory" that way. There has been plenty of jeeps that remain stock that have had reported death wobble. Warn tires arent an excuse for death wobble. I agree that lifts and what not can be the reason DW comes out... but it can happen without them.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by L1Star
...Can't see filing a complaint over something the manuf didn't cause?
Agreed, thats what I was leading up to. Death wobble is caused by worn out or improperly torqued components. Proper maintenance and repair will PREVENT it from occurring.

It's kind of hard to imagine filling a complaint because your vehicle drives like trash because you didn't keep it maintained.

Read planman's write-up, he will walk you through the ins and outs of what death wobble is, and what other similar things often get mistaken as death wobble. Well worth anyone's time.

Last edited by u-joint; 02-28-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wobble

My experience with the dealers was also unproductive. In my case I had two causes, the first was the locknut on the front trackbar was not tight enough. The second cause was the nut securing the front shock needed to be tightened a bit, the rubber bushing was not sufficiently compressed to allow the shock to take the full force, resulting in wobble under certain conditions. I could tell it was coming from the right front, the dealer recommended a new steering stabilizer, a front end shop told me ball joints. I replaced the stabilizer because I wanted to upgrade the stock one anyway, changed the specifics of the wobble, then isolated it to the shock. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off there have been many cases reported of death wobble stock. Mine did it when mine was BONE STOCK, NEVER OFF ROADED or ABUSED.

Lastly, having to get under a vehicle and retorque every bolt every oil change is not routine maintenance, its insanity. I have owned many vehicles and never have to do this.

NO ONE I KNOW who owns any truck or car gets under and torques every bolt at every oil change, no one would own a vehicle if that were the case.

Also, if that is part of routine maintenance, why is it not in the manual? I must have missed the section where it says that if you don't make sure every bolt is tight that the vehicle will become UNDRIVEABLE!

Lets not forget if the trackbar hole ovals out 1/8 of inch, then you have the same issue. So I guess my Jeep should have come with a welder and washers too.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble