Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to have bad bumpsteer with a 01 TJ, I went over everything ten times, then finaly I droped my front tire presure to 27 psi on 35 baja claws it helped alot.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a buddy. Have them slowly turn your steering side to side. Look for play as he turns the wheel.

It's either:
Loose bottom trackbar bolt.
Loose top trackbar bolt.
Bad lower trackbar bushing.
Bad upper trackbar joint.
Stripped/loose pitman arm.
stripped/loose/bad drag link joint on top or bottom.
Loose or bad tie rod ends.
Bent.deffective front rim.
Deffective tire.

if none of these items solve your problem you have a deficient lift installed with improper front geometry which includes your front component angles or your control arm lengths or bushings.

Good luck! Might was well turn the jeep in to a pre-runner if you have the money and it's 2wd. Maybe some long travel coil overs up front and tube fenders?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. I'm heading over to the mechanics later this week and I'll definitely bring all this up. He's a buddy so I'm gonna hang out while he works on it and go over everything. I would just be happy to find the problem at this point!!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default well

Originally Posted by SrfrGrl
I'll look into all that. And yes I've already been through all the hell lol it's about to drive me insane because I'm slightly OCD and not being able to fix something drives me crazy!! Thanks to all of you so far, will keep you posted.
Well.. if you think lifting your jeep tested your OCD then I wouldnt recommend letting a dog ride in your jeep then. I went through the death wobble bit and once that was taken care of white dog hair became my arch nemisis.. its still an ongoing battle because my puppies go everywhere with me.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were near me, it's a 10 minute inspection to knock out 90% of that list. The tire and wheel possibilities can be knocked out a America's tire with balance while you/they watch the rim. If the weight measurements keep coming out funny, or it takes a LOT of weight - you've found your problem in the wheel or tire. Next is taking it apart to see which is the culpret

If you steel wheels, the wheel could be more likely. If you have off-brand tires, the tire could be more likely.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Hahaha no doubt! I refused to take my doors off until the garage was finished because my yellow lab loves the jeep about as much as I do!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

When you bought the tires, did they "speed balance" the tires? The place where I bought my tires for my Tundra used a machine to speed balance to prevent high speed wobble. have not had any issues with my jeep though. Just a thought. Should be fairly inexpensive.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

BKGM - I'm have 33" nitro terra Trappists and 17" American eagle wheels. I ran out and took that pic real quick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3481922240.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	131810  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you are diagnosing it, I recommend you file a complaint in this highly dangerous issue here..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

was all the work that was done on your jeep warranty work??

Quick Reply: Death Wobble