Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble?

So I installed a 3" full traction Economy lift a few weeks ago.

1. I dropped it off at 4 wheel parts to get the alignment done and there telling me that i need a heavy duty steering stabilizer and they want to remove the relocation bracket for the front track bar and install cam bushings to fix the death wobble it has.

This all sounds like a load of crap!!!

What was supposed to be a $125 alignment now is up to $350 and there are still trying to fix it.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. And if a full traction rep wants to chime in on them removing parts of the lift to try and fix something that would be great.

Thanks!!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bsk1128

1. I dropped it off at 4 wheel parts to get the alignment done and there telling me that i need a heavy duty steering stabilizer and they want to remove the relocation bracket for the front track bar and install cam bushings to fix the death wobble it has.

What was supposed to be a $125 alignment now is up to $350 and there are still trying to fix it.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. And if a full traction rep wants to chime in on them removing parts of the lift to try and fix something that would be great.

Thanks!!
no rep is on here,

4wp isnt known for good installs... a heavy duty stabalizeer will not fix it, but mask it.

anyways, do not let them try and install a cam bolt, its an econo lift because its very basic kit to get you started. You should removed the bracket like they said, but install and new adjustable trackbar, It'll fix your issue...
http://fulltraction.com/detail.php?M...TID=401&NOTES=

also make sure they torqued the trackbar bolts..

if ones loose it will cause DW. Is this a just a front end wobble? or something extreme?

Last edited by Piginajeep; 04-21-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
no rep is on here,

4wp isnt known for good installs... a heavy duty stabalizeer will not fix it, but mask it

anyways, do not let them try and install a cam bolt, its an econo lift because its very basic. You should removed the bracket like they said, but install and new adjustable trackbar, It'll fix your issue...

also make sure they torqued the trackbar bolts..

if ones loose it will cause DW.
I 2nd this and the adj trackbar will cost you less than what they are trying to charge you.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you in stalled a front trackbar relocation bracket and didn't install a new drop pitman, that's your prob. Your draglink and trackbar are outta parrallel. You can also do as others have said, shitcan the bracket and get an adj trackbar. That'll put it parrallel with the draglink with stock pitman and also give you the ability to perfectly center your axle. They want to put cambolts in to correct your castor, your better off getting front adj lowers for that. They're trying to hit all angles of the problem without exactly knowing whats causing it.

Last edited by mkjeep; 04-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If you in stalled a front trackbar relocation bracket and didn't install a new drop pitman, that's your prob. Your draglink and trackbar are outta parrallel. You can also do as others have said, shitcan the bracket and get an adj trackbar. That'll put it parrallel with the draglink with stock pitman and also give you the ability to perfectly center your axle. They want to put cambolts in to correct your castor, your better off getting front adj lowers for that. They're trying to hit all angles of the problem without exactly knowing whats causing it.
your mistaken, they want to install a cam bolt for the trackbar instead of adding an adjustable track bar. its probley just wheel shimmy, dump steer, adding a pitman arm drop wil fawk it all up

Last edited by Piginajeep; 04-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
your mistaken, they want to install a cam bolt for the trackbar instead of adding an adjustable track bar. its probley just wheel shimmy, dump steer, adding a pitman arm drop wil fawk it all up
Cambolt for the trackbar? Guess I misread the post. Is there a drop bracket with that kit for the trackbar?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Cambolt for the trackbar? Guess I misread the post. Is there a drop bracket with that kit for the trackbar?
i'm assuming thats what they mean..

yes, the econo lift is, trackbar brackets (off axle), coils and shocks. Its a good starter kit to build from
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the OP meant to say they wanted to install cam bolts (not cam bushings) probably to adjust the Caster angle.

If anyone unmounted the track bar for any reason, that would be the first place I would start; including dismounting the track bar and closely checking the bushings and mounting brackets for damage.

It doesn't surprise me they want $350. It can be time consuming process to track down DW. The best option is to either do it yourself or at least guide the troubleshooting by learning the possible causes by reading the related posts in this forum, starting with Planman's DW 101 which is posted in many DW posts.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bsk1128

Thanks!!
when you installed your kit, did you install the front track bar relocation bracket that comes with the kit? if so, i would start by removing it. why this was included in the kit is a mystery to me but keeping it on will cause handling issues and potentially DW if it was not installed properly. assuming you retighten your track bar bolts back to 125-130 ft. lbs. of torque afterwards, this alone should address a lot of your problems and for FREE. granted, your axle will be off center and if you want to address this, i would recommend that you buy and install an adjustable front track bar.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble?