Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death wobble

Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble

Well I took my jk to a suspension shop this weekend and he told me my lift was done right and I told him I was getting death woble he then put the jeep on the lift and had me put it in four high and put it in gear and give it some gas. He wanted to see how balanced and true the wheels were well he noticed three of the four wheels were not perfectly round and you could see them woble a bit not to much but he thinks that my be the cause. He also told me that jeeps are under suspended and when you put bigger tires the suspension can not handle the wait and that is what causes the death woble.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

This steering stabilizer fixed it on mine never had a problem since I tried a few others and this system is the only one that truly solved it.

Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit I'd put where I got it but I don't know if they are a sponser or not. Google is your friend !
Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Fastback
Well I took my jk to a suspension shop this weekend and he told me my lift was done right and I told him I was getting death woble he then put the jeep on the lift and had me put it in four high and put it in gear and give it some gas. He wanted to see how balanced and true the wheels were well he noticed three of the four wheels were not perfectly round and you could see them woble a bit not to much but he thinks that my be the cause. He also told me that jeeps are under suspended and when you put bigger tires the suspension can not handle the wait and that is what causes the death woble.
I have 37's and no death wobble. Your tires aren't balanced well or something is loose on your suspension. Majority of the time DW is caused by prob or not properly torqued trackbar. Do have violent shaking of the jk when you hit a bump or does it just shake at a certain speed?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I have 37's and no death wobble. Your tires aren't balanced well or something is loose on your suspension. Majority of the time DW is caused by prob or not properly torqued trackbar. Do have violent shaking of the jk when you hit a bump or does it just shake at a certain speed?
only if I hit a big bump and everything is torque right and nothing is loose. It is not terrible I have to hit a large bump to cause it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

I looked your photo album, and you don't have adj. front lower arms?!?!

With your TF lift, you are probably 3" to 3.5" higher, and your caster must be around 3.6 deg. to 3.8 deg. Your need about 5 deg. A leak of caster will make DW. YOU MUST have adj. front lower arms

Last edited by Yoda; 11-02-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
I looked your photo album, and you don't have adj. front lower arms?!?!

With your TF lift, you are probably 3" to 3.5" higher, and your caster must be around 3.6 deg. to 3.8 deg. Your need about 5 deg. A leak of caster will make DW. YOU MUST have adj. front lower arms
your right what would a set of them cost and what is a good brand. Does TF make them.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 69Fastback
your right what would a set of them cost and what is a good brand. Does TF make them.
One of the best ones is TF. HEAVY and SOLID !!!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rickc309
Seems most of the DW's are caused by alignment issues.
The problem about alignment: with stock front lower arms, you can't change the caster. Even with cam bolts, you get a max. of +1/4 degree

I don't understand why some Jeep parts manufacturers sell lift kits of 3.5" without longer control arms. It's dangerous IMHO

Last edited by Yoda; 11-02-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put on an OME light kit yesterday and part of today. Along with the OME stuff I got the rear currie links, front JKS detachable sway bar links, front and rear adjustable track bars, front and rear bumpstops and Teraflex front lower control arms.

I know it is a bit of overkill with the added stuff, but I did not want to wish that I had more later and have to do the reinstall all over. (I guess if I add a new bumper and /or winch then I will need the HD and will have to start all over ... but I have no plans for that).

Anyway my question is how do you know when you have the lower control arms adjusted correctly? I have 33" tires (they measure exactly 32" on my rims). When I checked the caster before the install I had 6 degrees (yes I even measured the ground the jeep was sitting on). Now that I have the install completed and I guestimated the proper length of the lower control arms based on some other threads, I have a my caster is at 8 degrees. Is that bad or is that acceptable?

The jeep drives nice, but since I just finished it about an hour ago I have no idea how it is offroad.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gordhunt
This steering stabilizer fixed it on mine never had a problem since I tried a few others and this system is the only one that truly solved it.

Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit I'd put where I got it but I don't know if they are a sponser or not. Google is your friend !
I had this problem before and I had to go for steering Stabilizer

second thing I would suggest to go with control arm and pitman.

Quick Reply: Death wobble