Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble – My Experience

Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '10 JK 2 door and have battled death wobble for a long time. I did all the above (including all of planman's advice). And I hate to say this, but I disagree with planman. The only thing that prevented my DW was replacing the steering stabilizer. The factory one was defective apparently. Now no real death wobble, though I do feel the wheels wiggle when I hit those spots that before bought on full blown death wobble.

I don't doubt that one day the DW will come back in a few years once the steering stabilizer becomes exhausted. I think the JK front axle needs a redesign as it can happen too easily. The track bar needs to attach closer to the wheel if possible, or throw some thicker metal in the equation, or get creative with harmonic dampeners! Planman is correct in a perfect world, but in reality I have come to the conclusion the JK is a DW waiting to happen.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

DW is rare. Only a very small percentage of JKs experience it.

The front end design of JKs and Ram 2500/3500 trucks is basically the same as has been used by Chrysler an American Motors since the 1986 Jeep Cherokees. For these last 25+ years, DW has been rare, but when it has occurred, the reasons have basically been the same.

What you have explained is that your steering stabilizer failed and the new one will fail because the true sources of your DW haven't been fixed.

Wish you were closer. We could pull apart your front end and find the sources in less than 2 hours--or the pizza would be on me.

Your case may require removal of each control arm and trackbar individually to inspect each bushing and bracket hole. It may require a much closer look at the steering box, ball joints, drag link and tie rod ends, unit bearings, and each bracket weld.

There is a limit of the things that can cause DW. It takes a systematic inspection of each and every component in one setting rather than replacing worn parts piecemeal.

I understand your frustration, but there are solutions.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back planman!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Planman - you are a true gentleman! And believe me, we all owe you the pizza!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble – My Experience