Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death wobbel 2011 jeep jk please help

Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobbel 2011 jeep jk please help

Hi my jeep is a 2011 jk sport with a dealer installed lift and they won't fix it . But I bought my jeep lifted and new. Now it has about 10,000 miles on it. Is has gotten so bad I can't drive it. They didn't give me any of the stock parts. And they told me when I bought it that it still had the factory warrenty. I'm not going to sell my jeep cuz its my first brand new vehicle. But it has rustys 3 1/2 or 4 inch lift full kit with 35in tires
Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 PM
JK Newbie

That sounds horrible! I am very curious to find out why they wont honor the warranty if they did all the work prior to purchase.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have no idea but they've built three jeep like mine. But mine was the only one with the full kit and it was the first one they did and the first one they ever lifted. They keep telling me i have to pay to get it fixed I think it's that is bull. I can't even accelerate with out it doing death wobbel. I havnt Driven my jeep in two months now. It just sits in the barn . Idk what to do any more.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Death Wobble

Originally Posted by Wolf350z03
Hi my jeep is a 2011 jk sport with a dealer installed lift and they won't fix it . But I bought my jeep lifted and new. Now it has about 10,000 miles on it. Is has gotten so bad I can't drive it. They didn't give me any of the stock parts. And they told me when I bought it that it still had the factory warrenty. I'm not going to sell my jeep cuz its my first brand new vehicle. But it has rustys 3 1/2 or 4 inch lift full kit with 35in tires

Death Wobble is usually caused by worn suspension components .... Mostly the track bar , and the track bar bracket ... If your lift was installed incorrectly and the drop brackets where not utilized then you front steering geometry is off ( the tie rod and track bar should be as parallel to the ground and each other as possible ) .... If the brackets where used then the most likely cause is ether worn bushings or a hole that has been rounded out on the track bar mounts .. Check the steering by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look under the front of the jeep .. there should be NO movement of the track bar ( if there is then you found the problem ) ... check all of the tie rod ends and see if they just flop around ( any slack could be amplified during driving ) you should be able to rock the draglink and tie rods but they should not be easy to move .... Hope this helps I build custom Jeeps for a living and deal with this problem all to often in the shop .......
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 AM
JK Newbie

Well I know the track bar has a 1/8in of play on the axle side but it is not even with the steering bar. I welded washer to make the bolts for the holes and it worked for about to months and then it started up again
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 AM
JK Newbie

I forgot the track bar is a rustys Offroad. And the jeep has less then 10,000 miles on it.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't matter how many miles it has on it. If the track bar is garbage then it will wobble. Look at Clayton offroad. They have their high steer kit with a heavy duty track bar. I have a 2010 and have yet to have any wobble. I have their high steer kit. But any play in the trackbar will cause wobble.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For death wobble information, go here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...-bolts-210051/
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Loosen all the control arm bolts and trackbar bolts. Jump up and down on the front bumper. Then re torque everything.

If that doesn't work start the jeep and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth. While they are moving the wheel, lay under the jeep and feel all the steering linkage... Drag link, tie rod ect. You should be able to feel a light click or shimmy on one of parts. If its none of that check your ball joints.

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 11-25-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wolf350z03
Well I know the track bar has a 1/8in of play on the axle side but it is not even with the steering bar. I welded washer to make the bolts for the holes and it worked for about to months and then it started up again
First off if you already had to weld a washer to take the slack out of the track bar then chances are you need to repair the repair... Also the bushings on the track bar are most likely toast ... If your track bar and your tierod are not on the same plane then the track bar is fighting your suspension ... (witch will cause issues ) You need to get a drop bracket for the track bar and get the 2 bars parallel .. i would raise the track bar on the axle .. not drop the track bar from the frame ... Second , you need to check ALL of the steering components for play .. if there is any , replace it . Check all of the control arm bushings, make sure they are in good working order.. If you have any more questions feel free to email me .. ( like i said i work on Jeeps for a living , i specialize in JK's )

Do you have Adjustable Lower control arms ? If not then you caster angle could be wrong and also causing issues ..

Please any pix of your set up would be helpful ....

Last edited by dino30; 11-25-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Death wobbel 2011 jeep jk please help