Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death to Tailgate

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thissideup
35's and the stock set up ripped the spot welds apart on my tail gate. Now my gate is pop riveted back together and bed lined to cover up the ugly. Had to get a bumper with a carrier before the gate ripped in half. Not a good idea....like the others have said. A matter of time but not an issue now that you are getting a new bumper:thumbsup
And how was yours completely suspended or weight on the bumper too?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Sooner or later, it will stress it and sag/shift/be damaged.
Let all the air out of your spare, it won't weigh so much, then you will be ok.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonc
Let all the air out of your spare, it won't weigh so much, then you will be ok.
Now that's som good thingking there!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Where can I purchase one of those MBRP reinforcement kit for the factory tailgate I am alittle worried after reading these post about my tailgate. I have a 35" Dick Cepek crusher hanging off the back and I hate to lose it going down the road.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grizzjeeper
I just put on MBRP's tailgate reinforcement kit, it distributes the weight accross the ounting points and I think is a very sound method for those unsure or not wanting to purchase a tire carrier.
I've run these for 2months. It was worth a try given how cheap they are but I'm not comfortable with the 'borbbling' echo-type sound that comes from the tailgate everytime I hit roadbump or pothole. This is with 35-inch MTZs.

For the OP, I'm getting a real tire carrier and suggest you do also.

For BlackSahara - Northridge and Quadratec both sell MBRP tailgate brackets.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by westchester
I've run these for 2months. It was worth a try given how cheap they are but I'm not comfortable with the 'borbbling' echo-type sound that comes from the tailgate everytime I hit roadbump or pothole. This is with 35-inch MTZs.

For the OP, I'm getting a real tire carrier and suggest you do also.

For BlackSahara - Northridge and Quadratec both sell MBRP tailgate brackets.
Can you describe the sound that you're hearing a little more? We've got 37's on both our 2 and 4 door JK's and they're solid...do you have any play in the spare at all? Whose spare tire relocation bracket are you using?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
Can you describe the sound that you're hearing a little more? We've got 37's on both our 2 and 4 door JK's and they're solid...do you have any play in the spare at all? Whose spare tire relocation bracket are you using?
hello Steve, we spoke verbally about other things re the brackets, and I'm happy to chat or PM privately further if you wish, but I'm gonna get a tire carrier & bumper. cheers
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thissideup
35's and the stock set up ripped the spot welds apart on my tail gate. Now my gate is pop riveted back together and bed lined to cover up the ugly. Had to get a bumper with a carrier before the gate ripped in half. Not a good idea....like the others have said. A matter of time but not an issue now that you are getting a new bumper:thumbsup
This question has already been asked, but still no reply...

HOW WAS YOUR SPARE TIRE MOUNTED... WAS IT SUSPENDED OR WAS IT TIGHT TO THE TAILGATE AND RESTING ON THE BUMPER?

Last edited by Bazetthound; 01-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

I have Toyo MT 35x12.5" R17's mounted @ the stock location w/ the brake light chopped. The tire is not resting on the bumper, all leveraged load is on the tail gate...

I would STRONGLY rec. NOT mounting the tire on the tailgate. Completely waffled mine. I'm stilling hammering sheet metal back into place and touching up with paint. Spend the $3-400 on a steel bumper tire carrier or just don't take the spare on the trail.

It's all fun until you hit the Tailgate
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bazetthound
This question has already been asked, but still no reply...

HOW WAS YOUR SPARE TIRE MOUNTED... WAS IT SUSPENDED OR WAS IT TIGHT TO THE TAILGATE AND RESTING ON THE BUMPER?
I believe his was suspended. I remembering comparing his to my jeep because we both have 35's on the tailgate...

Quick Reply: Death to Tailgate