Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death to Tailgate

Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hinges held up great on my tailgate... it is the whole tailgate that warped and is not doing so well
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

I believe there are rubber spacers you can buy that will help keep it from vibrating, and might buy you some time to save for a new bumper and tire carrier. Either way, the overall weight will cause damage eventually.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends, the spacers people sell look like a horrible idea! totally suspends the tire in the air, it's up to the small lateral bump stops..not going to happen. I used poly lateral bump stops and a regulator wheel spacer. Shimmed the wheel to let the rear bumper take the wiggle out of the tire when the gate is closed. I dont suspect any problems.

Wiggle is going to be what kills it first, not weight,.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Depends, the spacers people sell look like a horrible idea! totally suspends the tire in the air, it's up to the small lateral bump stops..not going to happen. I used poly lateral bump stops and a regulator wheel spacer. Shimmed the wheel to let the rear bumper take the wiggle out of the tire when the gate is closed. I dont suspect any problems.

Wiggle is going to be what kills it first, not weight,.
X2, that is exactly what I did, daystar bump stops and a 5/16 wheel spacer, no issues after 10k miles. The tire just slightly touches the stock rear bumper
Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Hog
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
Hey guys, just looking for some advice here. Would a 35" Toyo M/T absolutely destroy the stock tailgate? Or would it rest on the bumper and be alright or what??? I have LT295/70R17s now and they haven't caused any problems
I have AEV Pintler w/Toyo 35 ... for all of 26K miles - no noticeable prob, but I do not wheel frequently nor heavy
Stock rear bumper didn't provide/ wasn't 'help' I wanted .. but I have had some mild bottom of tire support from home-made gizmo on trailer hitch... still planning but haven't yet put a ball on spacers to sit just right /slightly support tire... yes, it does rub a little opening and closing... I seem to have the relief just right.. so far
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a 35 on my tailgate for almost a year, no issues, it did fit tight and was resting on the bumper though. Got a 37 on the stock carrier now, only 2 weeks though, I'm ordering the carrier for my bumper Monday, 37in toyo is wayyyyyy too much for the stock carrier. My tailgate is cryin right now.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I have no more worries, It looks like I am getting a smittybilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier for X-mas.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Enough folks on here have said it's just a matter of time and I believe them, especially when my '09 owners manual says the tailgate mount max is FIFTY POUNDS, yet the stock sahara wheel/tire weighed 70lbs

Chrysler should recall and fix this!

My 35's/wheel weighs 88 lbs and I've had it on the stock mount for a couple of months, and I was worried, but a new LOD bumper w/carrier just arrived
Old 12-05-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had a 35in Toyo on the back for 7 months now, 10k miles. I added two washers so that the tail gate would close and the tire would just barely sit on the rear bumper. I wheel it and bump down logging roads quite a bit. No issues at all so far.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

35's and the stock set up ripped the spot welds apart on my tail gate. Now my gate is pop riveted back together and bed lined to cover up the ugly. Had to get a bumper with a carrier before the gate ripped in half. Not a good idea....like the others have said. A matter of time but not an issue now that you are getting a new bumper:thumbsup

Quick Reply: Death to Tailgate