Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dealer Used Red RTV on Diffs - Should I Be Pissed?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
^^^No idea if that is real, but sh## made me laugh
Just my witty sarcasm.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
Just my witty sarcasm.
Laughed again. I'm gonna use that. Freakin hilarious.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE my lube lockers!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I LOVE my lube lockers!
So, I'm a fan of lube lockers and have been using them for a year. Was on their website looking for my current axles and checked out the F&Q. Did you know they're only designed for one time use?! This whole time I thought they were reusable. I pulled the cover multiple times. Oh well. I'll probably stick with them and reuse them until I have a leak.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

So, I'm a fan of lube lockers and have been using them for a year. Was on their website looking for my current axles and checked out the F&Q. Did you know they're only designed for one time use?! This whole time I thought they were reusable. I pulled the cover multiple times. Oh well. I'll probably stick with them and reuse them until I have a leak.
That's news to me.... I totally was under the impression I remembered reading they were reusable I've taken them off twice on my 08 and the moved them to my '12 and have been taken off once there. So far no leaks

Kind of the reason I got them, no more messy RTV and having to clean and reapply it.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I don't know about diffs, but at work (I work on F-18s), we use red rtv on anything that sees above 500 degrees. There's always JP5 and oil in and around a lot of those areas and I've never seen that stuff deteriorated. If it can withstand JP5, I think it can hold up to gear oil.
JP-5 is nothing more than kerosene with some additives. BTW, S/F Dog!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I knew that. If I remember they said something like, people have done it, but we don't recommend that. I don't pull the cover all that often anyways. I drain and fill once a year only because of the deep water crossings I do. But I have a 2012 with just 22K miles on it and I put the ARB's on there somewhere around 9K about 2 years ago. And when the day does come I pull it, the LL's if I remember were only like $20 a piece. Worth it to me not to just have to deal with the RTV. (I live in a disposable world )

Quick Reply: Dealer Used Red RTV on Diffs - Should I Be Pissed?