Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dealer Used Red RTV on Diffs - Should I Be Pissed?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Used Red RTV on Diffs - Should I Be Pissed?

My front axle seals were leaking and replaced under warranty. When the dealer re-sealed the front diff, they used red RTV...

I'm worried this wont have the gear oil resistance needed for a diff application.

Permatex recommends their ultra black, ultra blue or gear oil RTV for diff application. I can't find any red RTV's online recommended for diff / gear oil usage. I previously used ultra black on it when I did a re-seal after the factory seal leaked when adding diff glide plates.

I have red rancho diff glide plates, maybe they thought they were being cute by matching with red RTV?

It would only take me an hour and a half to re-do it myself... Should I just leave it? What would you do? Yes I'm this anal about my jeep.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not call the dealer and ask why they used red vs black RTV ? I mean its under warranty let them fix it. Im sure you could ask for the black RTV instead of red next time its done.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Why not call the dealer and ask why they used red vs black RTV ? I mean its under warranty let them fix it. Im sure you could ask for the black RTV instead of red next time its done.
Ask to see the actual product tube they use. They may actually have a red sealant that is rated for this application .

I'd almost swear my 2008 came from the factory with red sealant on the diffs. I may be mistaken, but that's the picture I've got in my mind.

Eventually, mine seeped and they took care of it under warranty, but I think it was more due to sloppy and thin application than degradation of the sealant. My dealership did use black on the repair. It was at around 40k miles that they seeped, and only from isolated spots where it clearly was thinly applied. They were not dripping, though. Only seeping.

Last edited by dmwil; 01-24-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
My front axle seals were leaking and replaced under warranty. When the dealer re-sealed the front diff, they used red RTV...

I'm worried this wont have the gear oil resistance needed for a diff application.

Permatex recommends their ultra black, ultra blue or gear oil RTV for diff application. I can't find any red RTV's online recommended for diff / gear oil usage. I previously used ultra black on it when I did a re-seal after the factory seal leaked when adding diff glide plates.

I have red rancho diff glide plates, maybe they thought they were being cute by matching with red RTV?

It would only take me an hour and a half to re-do it myself... Should I just leave it? What would you do? Yes I'm this anal about my jeep.
One more thing...you aren't the only one that anal. Most of us here on this forum are that way at least in some ways about our Jeeps. Hell, I even painted over the surface rust on my rear shocks and I have been known to move it to where I could stare at it while mowing the lawn!

That's actually a topic for a hilarious new thread! I'm going to start it now. I'm sure you'll feel better after some of the stuff people post. Stay tuned!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:09 AM
JK Freak

Hmm, the shop that did my regear year and a half ago used red RTV, no probs
But when I changed diff oil I used Lublockers....
Old 01-24-2015, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

When Dynatrac builds axles like the pr44,60,etc. they use red sealant also. I'm sure they know what they're doing. Maybe dealers have something different than what's commercially available in auto parts stores?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The red one is fine stop worrying about it.... My shop who specializes in jeeps(drives a nice built one himself) sponsors many events here in Ontario Canada always uses the red one.... No problems with mine for 5 years.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know about diffs, but at work (I work on F-18s), we use red rtv on anything that sees above 500 degrees. There's always JP5 and oil in and around a lot of those areas and I've never seen that stuff deteriorated. If it can withstand JP5, I think it can hold up to gear oil.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

I read about red RTV on diff covers in Paranoid Weekly. Article said not to worry.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
I read about red RTV on diff covers in Paranoid Weekly. Article said not to worry.
^^^No idea if that is real, but sh## made me laugh

Quick Reply: Dealer Used Red RTV on Diffs - Should I Be Pissed?