Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dealer reflashed my computer and turned off all my esp, bas, abs, trac-control :)

Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ESP, BAS may interfere when you are trying to purposely climb a slippery hill or a sand dune or something....but keep in mind that those electronic stability controls work when you are NOT able to contol your vehicle...in a panic situation, emergency maneuvering etc.

Computers do SOME things much faster that you could ever possibly hope to.

G
Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccwbrd
I'll say this.......For years people lived without these features and now no one can live with out it?
I could live without all the fancy safety stuff the JK has. Drove without that stuff for several decades. That does not mean I want to disable all of it permanently. Just do the switch routine so you can turn it all off when you want.

I do not believe there is a big downside to ABS. It lets you manuever while applying maximum stopping power. I bet most drivers cannot panic stop a vehicle without ABS shorter than the ABS system can to it.

I think the ESP could be a life saver if you do not play in the Jeep enough to be used to what it will do when it gets sideways. I have always practiced sliding around in all my vehicles on the back roads (my wife calls it playing). But I think if my wife was driving and got it out of shape, the computer might save her life. Besides, a push of a button (or an installed switch) lets you play around to your hearts content.

The BLD on an icy/snowy road is almost like having intelligent limited slip both front and rear. What are the down sides of that system (besides maybe brake pad wear)?

If the dealer knew and let you roll out with no ABS especially, they are nukking futz. If you are ever in an accident, I would advise against admitting you knew any of that was disabled.

Actually, I think I am just getting old and lazy, so nevermind that stuff is for the old and lazy........

Quick Reply: dealer reflashed my computer and turned off all my esp, bas, abs, trac-control :)