Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dealer Just Restricted my Lifetime Powertrain warranty

Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your situation sounds about right, unfortunately. I'm not gonna say it's Chryslers policy... but it's pretty much their policy to give you one "fix" after that don't expect ANYTHING from them. That's how it was explained to me by someone in the know and I have yet to find very many people who have had multiple, unrelated, repairs performed under warranty.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

I am gold level 20 years chrysler certified as a chrysler jeep service advisor.
The dealer cannot resrict your jeep. They got help from the area manager of the delaerships, who has to ok restrictions.
And what is posted is correct. You go to another dealership, your vehicle is now "flagged".
If you have ALL of the oil change receipts, you should be able to get that removed. But you will need all of your invoices from new.
Sludge buildup is a no no too. They see it, they will know.
I would go to chrysler themselves (over the DM), and make your case.
It is a lot easier to get warrenty work approved by doing your oil changes at a dealer. The records are at their fingertips, and makes it easy. But it is definately not required.
And speaking from experiance, don't go in raising heck. Go in calm with hat in hand. It goes a lot further. Find out who is over the DM, and start there. Call chrysler.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gatorfrey
The dealer cannot resrict your jeep. They got help from the area manager of the delaerships, who has to ok restrictions.
And what is posted is correct. You go to another dealership, your vehicle is now "flagged".
If you have ALL of the oil change receipts, you should be able to get that removed. But you will need all of your invoices from new.
It is a lot easier to get warrenty work approved by doing your oil changes at a dealer. The records are at their fingertips, and makes it easy. But it is definately not required.
And speaking from experiance, don't go in raising heck. Go in calm with hat in hand. It goes a lot further. Find out who is over the DM, and start there. Call chrysler.
Even without the receipts, they would have to show that he wasn't properly maintaining his vehicle to cut him off... the burden of proof (from a legal standpoint, not a practical one) is on them, not him. As you point out though, if they see sludge, or other evidence thereof, then it's a different story.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gatorfrey
Thanks for the advice. Some of you have asked for all the facts so here they are.

(1) Last week I noticed that little red oil pressure light started to ping on and off
(2) Because of this I checked the dip stick. It looked fine.
(3) I than crawled under the Jeep and noticed oil splattered on the pan, filter, and burned on the block.
(4) I decided I probably had a leak and made appt with dealership
(5) I drove the jeep to dealership and dropped it off.
(6) Later in the day I received a call from them saying the jeep only had a quart of oil in it but they did find small leaks. They said that the fix might not be covered because there is simply no way it lost that much oil from the small leaks. They have no service records so they surmise I failed to maintain it.
(7) I told them I do all my oil changes and have receipts. I also have it written down but honestly those records are incomplete
(8)They said they found some leaks and will cover the repairs this time but will need to flag the jeep for future engine warranty repairs. They said they simply have no way of knowing if the low oil caused internal damage and I have no way of proving that I operated it with a full oil pan each and every time I started the ignition. I don't know about you guys but I don't check my oil every morning and I certainly did not check it before driving it to the dealership. My downfall I guess.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

so, do you have the receipt from the LAST oil change?

If so, it shows you had oil at that interval point, if they're claiming that you don't/ didn't, then that should show to the contrary.

Assuming you DID do the oil change within recommended intervals, then they're just blowing smoke... and don't have a proper grasp on the scope of the leakage.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd fit it dude. This one dealer told me my alternator was bad $500 repair. No! It was bad idler pulleys, cost less than $40 from advance auto for me to fix myself.

No offense to the advisor above, not all techs, advisers, service managers and dealerships are ethical.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Introduce them to the "Magnus-moss warranty act

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...e-maintenancex
Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to be negative man, but didnt you check the oil level before taking it to a dealer of all places? I mean you wouldnt take your jeep into a dealer covered in three week old caked on mud would you? If you in fact only had a quart of oil pumping around in your engine, which I find pretty hard to believe you can cause serious issues, and I could see them flagging you for something like that.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
Introduce them to the "Magnus-moss warranty act

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...e-maintenancex
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance
Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler

Thanks for the advice. Some of you have asked for all the facts so here they are.

(1) Last week I noticed that little red oil pressure light started to ping on and off
(2) Because of this I checked the dip stick. It looked fine.
(3) I than crawled under the Jeep and noticed oil splattered on the pan, filter, and burned on the block.
(4) I decided I probably had a leak and made appt with dealership
(5) I drove the jeep to dealership and dropped it off.
(6) Later in the day I received a call from them saying the jeep only had a quart of oil in it but they did find small leaks. They said that the fix might not be covered because there is simply no way it lost that much oil from the small leaks. They have no service records so they surmise I failed to maintain it.
(7) I told them I do all my oil changes and have receipts. I also have it written down but honestly those records are incomplete
(8)They said they found some leaks and will cover the repairs this time but will need to flag the jeep for future engine warranty repairs. They said they simply have no way of knowing if the low oil caused internal damage and I have no way of proving that I operated it with a full oil pan each and every time I started the ignition. I don't know about you guys but I don't check my oil every morning and I certainly did not check it before driving it to the dealership. My downfall I guess.
Sounds like you checked the dipstick what was the level in the pan and how long before you took it to the dealer was it

Quick Reply: Dealer Just Restricted my Lifetime Powertrain warranty