Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dealer Just Restricted my Lifetime Powertrain warranty

Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Just Restricted my Lifetime Powertrain warranty

This is amazing. I brought in my 08 for an oil leak and they said they will fix it under warranty but from this point forward my Jeep will be flagged for what they call an "engine restriction". Since I perform my own oil changes they said they have no way of knowing if proper maintenance was performed and are not satisfied whether or not the engine internals are trash. Gimme a break..
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have receipts? Was there any language in the fine print you had to have oil changes at the dealership? Doesn't seem right to me.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Edge Hawk
Do you have receipts? Was there any language in the fine print you had to have oil changes at the dealership? Doesn't seem right to me.
I have receipts for the oil but how do I prove I performed the oil change. This is a BS way for them to get out of the lifetime warranty...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would guess with your receipts it should be on them to prove the oil WASN'T changed in your jeep.

I would try a different dealer. I'm sure they get reimbursed from chrysler for lifetime warranty work any way. They probably just want to bill you and chrysler both for future repairs.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler

I have receipts for the oil but how do I prove I performed the oil change. This is a BS way for them to get out of the lifetime warranty...
As long as you have your receipts and have kept a mileage log they cannot do that. You as an owner are allowed by law to perform your own vehicle maintanance or have it performed at any non-dealer garage, etc without hurting your warranty. As long as you are using the manufacturer oil weights, correct filters, and so on you can fight them tooth and nail.
I would tell them to suck one and call Jeep.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
I would guess with your receipts it should be on them to prove the oil WASN'T changed in your jeep.

I would try a different dealer. I'm sure they get reimbursed from chrysler for lifetime warranty work any way. They probably just want to bill you and chrysler both for future repairs.
Problem is once the jeep gets flagged it's in the Chrysler system for all Jeep dealers to see. From this point forward, no matter where I take the Jeep to get serviced, it will show no warranty for engine work...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

They have to show that you did not perform services properly... they can't cut your warranty just because they can't PROVE that you did. Doesn't work that way.

This should be a pretty easy fight, and you should change dealers.

Google magnussen moss act btw... good info on this.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backcountryislife
They have to show that you did not perform services properly... they can't cut your warranty just because they can't PROVE that you did. Doesn't work that way.

This should be a pretty easy fight, and you should change dealers.

Google magnussen moss act btw... good info on this.
x2 - total BS - fight that sh!z bro! good luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they've already flagged your VIN in their vehicle information system, going to another dealer won't help. You need to get on the line with Chrysler, stat and have them work with the dealership to investigate the reason for flagging. Make sure you've got your ducks in a row in terms of receipts and mileage. The burden of proof is really on "them".

Are we getting the whole story from you, or did something else happen, did you really piss someone off at the dealer, etc? It takes work to flag a VIN, and it creates quite a mess with the customer when they do it. I can't imagine a service writer wanting to create more work, or have even more irate customers, just because he/she felt like being a dick to you without cause.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ask to speak with the dealership's general manager. Then inform him that you've added his business to your "never purchase a vehicle from again list" due to it's violation of federal law.

Quick Reply: Dealer Just Restricted my Lifetime Powertrain warranty