Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dealer installed or self installed?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another vote for DIY.

You can do it. You should do it. I did mine SOLO, and prior to owning my rig I had never even changed me own oil. You've got a support team so you can really benefit from their experience, ask questions, and learn a ton about your rig. The peace of mind that everything is done right, and that you can better self-diagnose if problems come up is absolutely worth it. If a dealer is going to be a jackass about warranty coverage, that's his/her prerogative, as others have said.

Edit: And 3k for an extended warranty is outrageous. I got mine from the dealer for around $800 IIRC.

Last edited by ealive; 08-14-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

i'm with all of you on the diy point of view, i'm just nervous about my 3.6, i would hate for it to cause me troubles down the line and get absolutely nothing done about it. i have been driving 1.5 hours each way from base the last to days to have nothing done and be experiencing the same f-ing issues...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had a dealer do my lift, 3 days later I reinstalled the whole thing again.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealer would have a hard time not warrantying the engine because of a lift. I figure any problems with my axles and suspension are going to be my own fault so I don't depend on the warranty there. I wouldn't let anyone else touch the Jeep if I could avoid it.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by leaky10
Had a dealer do my lift, 3 days later I reinstalled the whole thing again.
if this was face book i would "like" that post lol!!!
and yeah i am really starting to reconsider...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afish
Im kicking myself for not getting any of the promises in writing.
Getting it in writing doesn't mean as much as you guys might think... if they want to deny work they are legally requried to do they are just as likely to tell you to shove that letter. Also finance guys will tell you whatever you want to hear to sell you that warranty and when it comes time to get service done they might not even be working there.

My advice is if you a dealer doesn't want to do the work, to say thank you and try another dealer. If you have more than one dealership in the area its not worth pissing off a dealer, and if someone really doesn't want to work on your jeep can you really trust them to do a good job? If they are the only option, lawyer up.

Quick Reply: dealer installed or self installed?