Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dealer installed or self installed?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer installed or self installed?

so while taking my 2012 in today for the tick :( i found out the dealer i went to does a lot of custom work, and is an authorized AEV dealer. i really want to do all the work on my jeep myself, for one because i can and have friends with ALOT of jk experience willing to help, but two for the obvious reason that its significantly cheaper. but while bsing with the parts and service guys (thank god they have some real jeepers working there btw) they told me odds are that if i do the work myself almost any dealer will completely void your warranty, i really dislike this particularly because my JKU with 3100 miles is already in the shop for that darn tick, and who knows what else could develope down the road in these pentastars... it's expensive but maintains your entire factory warranty, which would be a huge plus for me and they say their financing guys are also able to roll whatever you cant pay right away right into your normal payment, which is nice. i dont know, i like working on jeeps, i want to do the work on this jeep, i know me and a friend or two who do this for a living can DO IT RIGHT OURSELVES, and most of all i know dealerships can bs you into giving them money, but i do love the idea that my warranty will be honored, no questions asked... i dont know what to do!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

The dealer can definitely void your warranty due to a lift you installed...the thing is they can only void it if they can prove the issue you are arguing is caused by the lift....around here most dealers are very mod friendly and I plan on doing it myself but it's up to you... Good luck!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

If you do have the dealer do the install make sure they give you something in writing saying your warranty will not be cancelled.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

good call, thanks! it's hard for me to justify paying so much for work i can do myself just fine, but i really feel like i will be thankful i kept my warranty. especially consider my 3.tick is acting up and getting fixed already
Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If thay do the work you will be safe knowing that thay can not void your warranty for anything because they did the work ....good luck
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer selling service saying you are better off going with them is a little biased...

That said I do pay for prepaid legal service through my work I plan to use if a dealership tries to deny me warranty work not caused by my mods

Last edited by hypeiv; 08-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would just like to say that I installed my lift in one morning and had it sitting on the ground and out of the garage before I left to work at 5pm. If you get under the vehicle and do the work yourself, you will have the peice of mind that you did it right. I have had experiences where friends have had installs by dealers and shops only to have extremely bad alignment issues, loose bolts, shocks falling out of their mounts... So, just keep in mind what the cost of a "proffesional" install will be and then take a look at how much info you can find on this site to help you with the install and how simple it really is to do it yourself. There are links to instruct you how to dial in your drag link, adjust your track bars if you have adjustable track bars. Pretty much all you need is at your finger tips. Just a nice floor jack, some decent jack stand and a day to set aside.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Amost forgot to add, I lifted my jeep well before the dealer warranty ran out, dont believe that anything I did voided any sort of warranty. Although, if I installed a lift of 4" plus, I would probably have a difficult time getting a driveshaft replaced under warranty. Same as if I were running 37" tires on my factory dana 30 axles then tried to get them to replace a axle shaft under warranty.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MangoWilly
I would just like to say that I installed my lift in one morning and had it sitting on the ground and out of the garage before I left to work at 5pm. If you get under the vehicle and do the work yourself, you will have the peice of mind that you did it right. I have had experiences where friends have had installs by dealers and shops only to have extremely bad alignment issues, loose bolts, shocks falling out of their mounts... So, just keep in mind what the cost of a "proffesional" install will be and then take a look at how much info you can find on this site to help you with the install and how simple it really is to do it yourself. There are links to instruct you how to dial in your drag link, adjust your track bars if you have adjustable track bars. Pretty much all you need is at your finger tips. Just a nice floor jack, some decent jack stand and a day to set aside.
I second this. Did my lift I'm my driveway and had piece of mind that i did it right. Every time someone other than me has touched my truck it has been put in poorly or broke something else. Just like my brake line extensions i had put in that shot fluid before i even left the.lot. This forum is awsome for diy also any poblem you run into so did 20 others and 50 more already know how to fix it.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

You have to be realistic I would never expect my dealer to replace something that was a direct fault of a aftermarket part or wheeling. HOWEVER Also know from past experience dealers will look for any reason not to cover repairs under warranty. Sometimes I think they don't even bother to check out the problem fully they just point to the nearest aftermarket part and say there's your problem and your left to argue with them or fix it yourself. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if you show up on 35's or bigger with a blown motor or trans years down the line and they blamed it on wear and tear from using bigger heavyer tires. I asked all these questions about lift voiding my warranty and the finance guy couldn't reassure me fast enough that it was no problem what so ever while he was selling me a 3k dollar extended warranty. Then I come on here and read WOL post about Chrysler voiDing his warranty and Im kicking myself for not getting any of the promises in writing. Its easy CYA and all should be good

Quick Reply: dealer installed or self installed?