Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dealer BS and mods

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLowy
this probably isn't going to end in your favor. You have limited alternatives and the cost to litigate will not be easy to take. Borrow a set of 32's from someone and then drive it in
You sound like a lawyer LOL. I have to agree with you. It won't be easy. I'm going to throw this act at them and see how they respond. Also, after the elections the press might like this story. If not, I'll have to borrow a set of 32s lol. Let's see how everything unfolds.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Former Puerto Rico Resident Here

The warranty act is enforceable for the entire USA and it's territories. Having said that, let me say this:

I lived in Mayaguez, PR for two years. Though it would be a nice place to retire. I moved my family back to Texas last year. The reason: Puerto Rico doesn't care about any laws/rules except for their own. The government wants all the USA benefits, without having to follow USA laws. I'm not trying to bash your beautiful home, but I'm sure in all honesty, even if not spoken publicly, you would agree.

You will have a VERY HARD TIME trying to fight the system there. If you happen to be a Gringo (aka North Americano) you may have a little more luck if you threaten to phone your stateside reps (they dont have to know if you dont actually own a home in another state)

Good luck in you battle.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigBadMike
The warranty act is enforceable for the entire USA and it's territories. Having said that, let me say this:

I lived in Mayaguez, PR for two years. Though it would be a nice place to retire. I moved my family back to Texas last year. The reason: Puerto Rico doesn't care about any laws/rules except for their own. The government wants all the USA benefits, without having to follow USA laws. I'm not trying to bash your beautiful home, but I'm sure in all honesty, even if not spoken publicly, you would agree.

You will have a VERY HARD TIME trying to fight the system there. If you happen to be a Gringo (aka North Americano) you may have a little more luck if you threaten to phone your stateside reps (they dont have to know if you dont actually own a home in another state)

Good luck in you battle.
You are correct. No offense taken. I live in Aguada not too far from Mayaguez. As a matter of fact I lived in Mayaguez for 7 years. The dealer that I visited is also in Mayaguez. I'm a bit of a hard head so I plan to try anyways.

Wish me luck
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good !!

We used to dive Desecheo Island & Cabo Rojo every weekend. We loved the square of Aguadilla to hang out, and to watch the surfers in Ricon. We lived above RUM University (we owned the mountain peak 10 acres) all the way on top. (Bo Rio Canas Abajo). The property was shown on "Extreme Living" and was called "Un Jarden de la Tranquillidad"

We loved Puerto Rico, but things can be difficult. What we miss the least is loosing the water, electric, phone, and cable all at once for weeks at a time !!!

We may move back in the future once I dont have to keep close for my parents age/health.

Enjoy the beautiful home you have, but dont take any crap !
Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigBadMike
Good !!

We used to dive Desecheo Island & Cabo Rojo every weekend. We loved the square of Aguadilla to hang out, and to watch the surfers in Ricon. We lived above RUM University (we owned the mountain peak 10 acres) all the way on top. (Bo Rio Canas Abajo). The property was shown on "Extreme Living" and was called "Un Jarden de la Tranquillidad"

We loved Puerto Rico, but things can be difficult. What we miss the least is loosing the water, electric, phone, and cable all at once for weeks at a time !!!

We may move back in the future once I dont have to keep close for my parents age/health.

Enjoy the beautiful home you have, but dont take any crap !
If you come back to PR make sure to bring your JK. There are some nice places here for wheeling. Just let me know.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe if the modifications caused or contributed to the failure of the part then they can deny the warranty claim. That said - they have a pretty good argument that the larger tire's weight/leverage, etc. could have contributed to the locker's failure and thus can deny the warranty claim legally as it wouldn't be covered under the MM act...

IMHO - I'd clean it up real good (so it doesn't look driven/abused off-road) and put some stock tires back on it and take it into another dealer if possible and see if they'll cover it...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can't just outright void your warranty because of modified parts.

These are the only two things that will automatically void your warranty, and I'm quoting the book here.

These actions will void your warranties:
• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the
odometer will void your warranties, unless your
repairing technician follows the legal requirements
for repairing or replacing odometers; or
• attaching any device that disconnects the
odometer will also void your warranties.

The diff problem is a gray area because as said before if your mods affected the part your in trouble.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Former Member

On top of everything everyone else said, start off really calm and then if you're there for a while and have spoken to everyone in the managerial heirarchy, get legal on their asses and go with MM Act. If all else fails, steal a Jeep from their lot and strip it for parts.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
On top of everything everyone else said, start off really calm and then if you're there for a while and have spoken to everyone in the managerial heirarchy, get legal on their asses and go with MM Act. If all else fails, steal a Jeep from their lot and strip it for parts.

LMAO !!! I like the way you think !!

The MM Warranty Act states: The warranty provider MUST PROVE the modifications caused the problem. Not that they THINK
it contributed. The dealership is responsible to prove through a unbiased third party chosen by the court. Basically, alot more money than just fixing the damn thing to begin with. Now for the fun part; you got a whole legal mess to screw around with to get to that point. Buit, so do they.

I would put it like this: Park the thing in the parking lot next door to the dealership (not on their property) use shoe polish on the INSIDE of the windows "DONT BUY HERE" "WE WONT HONOR OUR WARRANTY". You could also drive to the dealership on a Saturday (when the most people are there shopping) with the same written in your windows so you can talk to the manager AGAIN, and everyone there shopping can see. Drive and park at the local hot spots like the mall, Aricebo Observatory, Rincon Surfers Beach, etc with the wording on you windows, and take pics of your jeep with the landmarks behind it. Email the pics to the dealer. Google the managers home number. Call him at 3am to complain. Let them know you're gonna be a pain in the ass until they do whats right.

If nothing gets done, than at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you caused them to loose at least what they owed you. There is great satisfaction in getting even, even if just for the sake of getting even.

"The one who wins the fight, is the one with no moral opposition to sneaking up behind his opponent, and hitting him in the head with a 2x4."

Above all else, have fun getting even...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Canada has the same type of law ? I've been getting the run around not only from Jeep, but with my WRX as well. The Subaru dealer sells SPT parts (Subaru Performance Tuning), but told me that if I put them on, it will void my warranty..for an exhaust no less.....

Quick Reply: Dealer BS and mods