Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DD VS OFFOAD which is best hybid tire, Need help selecting

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tapp
Love my Toyo mt on my daily driver. Not really that loud compared to some. And there are guys reporting getting 60+ out of them
X2 on these tires. Nice on the street, Awesome in the mud, waiting on snow to test them out there.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bsmarble
My Toyo AT2s are 285/75/17 the spec was 33.9 but they measure 33 mounted.
I like these. Hows the snow traction on the road? I have that size in the MT, love them, but wonder about these.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a Milwaukee native and let me throw in my 2 cents... We've had snow on the ground for over 2 months now and I just swapped out my 285/70/17 BFG all terrains for 35x12.50x17 nitto trail grapplers, initially I thought I'd be disappointed in the snow capability of these tires since they are technically MTs but I bought them anyway thinking they'd be OK in the snow and I loved the reviews and looks of them... I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by their snow performance. I don't see any drop off from the all terrains... True I have more rubber on the ground now, but they rarely slip and I'm actually getting a lot less traction control interference. Really happy so far. It's an awesome feeling rolling down the road with rigid LEDs lit up and gripping the road with huge tires during a blizzard while everyone else can't get out of their garage or they are stuck in a ditch hahahah
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

GYDT, here! I traded in a set of Falken ATS for these, and couldn't be happier! Specially if you're driving in the snowy roads!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what I'm getting out of this thread is that we are all pretty happy with whatever tire we decided to buy...

Does that mean we are all suckers for marketing and there's no big difference?

Anyone NOT happy with a particular tire?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
So what I'm getting out of this thread is that we are all pretty happy with whatever tire we decided to buy...

Does that mean we are all suckers for marketing and there's no big difference?

Anyone NOT happy with a particular tire?
Truth hahahah
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear Kumho Venture MT's are not that bad and they look crazy mean. I rode next to a F250 with them on at 50 mph with my top down and doors off a few days ago and they were not loud at all. I'm going to take a serious look at getting these and they are only $235 ea which I think is a good price for 35's. Anyone riding on these that can give some input on Kumho Venture MT's?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MedicJayCook
Ok, here is my situation. I am putting 315/75r16s on my JKU. This is my DD, However I will be using it for a good amount of wheeling with club runs, trips, and overland expedition planned across our UP and they need to be decent in the mud if possible. I would like a tire what gets decent mileage, Road manners are a plus but i just want to get over 40k to a set of tires. I will be doing a 5 tire rotation quite frequently. The tires I have been looking at are however I am not limited to these choices.

GY duratracs
Kelly Safari TSR
and Kelly Attitude MTs
Unless the situation has changed since last summer, getting GY Duratracs in 315/75R16 size is near impossible. They're in the catalog for that size, but not in-stock anywhere. Back-ordered forever and a day.
I ended up getting BFG due to non-availability of the GY in that size.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Every one of the choices asked about or suggested have some drawback. It could be shorter tread life, better in mud than dry/snow/rain/ice/etc. the other factors to consider are availability, price and how they balance. It's always going to be a compromise for some aspect. I think you have been given good input, you just need to decide where to compromise. I drive a lot of miles for work (usually about 60k per year) so I have unfortunately had the opportunity to try many different types and brands of tires including Goodyear, Kelly, Mickey Thompson, BFG, General, Pirelli Kuhmo, Firestone and even some no-name. I keep going to the hybrids for my type of driving which sounds similar to what you are looking at. The hybrids are always improving. Good luck with your decision...
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cg07sut
Every one of the choices asked about or suggested have some drawback. It could be shorter tread life, better in mud than dry/snow/rain/ice/etc. the other factors to consider are availability, price and how they balance. It's always going to be a compromise for some aspect. I think you have been given good input, you just need to decide where to compromise. I drive a lot of miles for work (usually about 60k per year) so I have unfortunately had the opportunity to try many different types and brands of tires including Goodyear, Kelly, Mickey Thompson, BFG, General, Pirelli Kuhmo, Firestone and even some no-name. I keep going to the hybrids for my type of driving which sounds similar to what you are looking at. The hybrids are always improving. Good luck with your decision...
What was the mickey thompson tire, and what did you feel was the drawback?

Quick Reply: DD VS OFFOAD which is best hybid tire, Need help selecting