Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswharton
Where are you folks that have the new latches getting them from? I am supposedly the first on the list at 4wheeldrive.com and have had my order in since March 14th and today they said maybe end of May or early June. What's the deal, am I being hosed or are they really not available?
Jim
I got mine from quadratec, was on back order for a month or so.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john98026
The only 'update", if you want to call it that, is that these are still about 3 weeks out, per Daystar. I have a set on order and will let you know when they arrive and how they work.
After an overly long wait, mine arrived yesterday. As promised here is my 2 cents.

Unlike some of you, mine came with the instructions but I chose to ignore them. I am a man after all

OK. What I did to remove the stock dogbones was to take my trusty utility knife and slit the dogbones from fron to rear, along the centerline of the attach pins. I was able to pull them free fairly easily. After that, I used the knife to cut through the plastic covers on the pins, about half way between the ends of each pin. Then, the pins simply pulled free and I installed the bolts and nuts that came wit the kit. Total time was about 10 minutes.

It takes considerably more force to latch the hood now. Honestly, it may be hard for some of you but I don't believe that there is a wind that I would be willing to drive in that would budge the hood now. For me, I think this will prove to be a wise investment.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

i thought last friday was going to be the day. The day when the hood flew up and smashed the windshield that is. so windy out and a huge transport roaring past me. I need to fix this problem!
Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

I took the spring off my hood and no hood lift so far.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

john98026...if I might ask, where did you procure yours from?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Well, mine arrived a few days ago. It wasn't too long of a wait, and I ordered them from AutoTruckToys.com.
I didn't follow the instructions either. It was easier to just take the cordless drill out and drill the end caps from the factory pins.
Like the post above stated, these take quite a bit of force to latch down. So much in fact, that I am anticipating a premature failure of the factory plastic catches. Another worry that I have about these Hood Wranglers is that the metal pins do not make use of the stronger thicker portion of the top latch. (the outer holes are a larger diameter and in thicker plastic than the inner holes on the catch) I am considering making up some bushings to slide over the metal pins on the ends to correct this oversight. I can foresee them failing fast over a short period of time with normal use.
Would I recommend Hood Wranglers? Probably not. I am still debating putting the old factory rubber parts back on.
Do they do the job they were created to do? Yes, but what’s the use if they are so tight that they cause other problems down the line?
I just may go back to using zip ties.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MojaveDesertJK
Well, mine arrived a few days ago. It wasn't too long of a wait, and I ordered them from AutoTruckToys.com.
I didn't follow the instructions either. It was easier to just take the cordless drill out and drill the end caps from the factory pins.
Like the post above stated, these take quite a bit of force to latch down. So much in fact, that I am anticipating a premature failure of the factory plastic catches. Another worry that I have about these Hood Wranglers is that the metal pins do not make use of the stronger thicker portion of the top latch. (the outer holes are a larger diameter and in thicker plastic than the inner holes on the catch) I am considering making up some bushings to slide over the metal pins on the ends to correct this oversight. I can foresee them failing fast over a short period of time with normal use.
Would I recommend Hood Wranglers? Probably not. I am still debating putting the old factory rubber parts back on.
Do they do the job they were created to do? Yes, but what’s the use if they are so tight that they cause other problems down the line?
I just may go back to using zip ties.
Mount them and leave them on for a week. They get easier after they "set in". They were only extremely tight after the first couple days. After a week they are much easier to work with. I have not had the hood lift once since I applied these. I just can't say how happy I am with these. Daimler Chrysler should come forth and admit this is a huge safety hazard but I wasn't willing to hold my breath.

I had a 1957 CJ5 with a fiberglass body and hood, and I was washing it one day and forgot to attach the hood latches (and they didn't have a safety hood catch like our JK's do) I drove down the street and when I hit 40 the hood came right up without warring and smashed my windshield in my face. Thank GOD I had the doors off and I was able to look out the driver side and pull over safely. I can tell you this I NEVER want to see that again! If I would have had the doors on I would have wrecked for sure! Get these hood latches and save yourself from that situation ever happening to you.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

I just put these on this morning and as everyone has said they are extremely tight> I hope they loosen up a little so that it is a little easier to latch. I ordered mine from 4x4groupbuy.com Jason and Sherry are always really helpfull and a great price. I have bought a lot of parts from them over the years and have always had good service from them. I think mine took about a month to get. Just got them yesterday.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

They will loosen up, i've had mine on for about three weeks and they are pretty close to stock now. I guess the rubber they're made of doesn't continue to stretch. I've driven through some strong winds and not a sign of lift yet and i tried the spring removal thing which didn't work for me. I put the spring back on after installing the wranglers.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jameswharton
john98026...if I might ask, where did you procure yours from?
Thanks,
Jim
I got them at 4x4rocksop dot com

Quick Reply: Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...