Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...

Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine on. I clipped off the end on the hood pins with a pair of dikes. Then I drilled a hole in the center of the bottom one's till I hit the metal pin. Popped it out with a screw driver and installed the new parts.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine on today. Great write up and BTW the fat end of the rubber goes on top. It took me about 5 seconds to figure that out. You might want to protect the paint with a towel or something while prying the old ones off. I can see someone running a screwdriver down the hood in the future, but i'm not Cleo. They are tight as a mofo now.

Last edited by New-B; 05-08-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed the hood latches 5 min ago. I would suggest cutting the old dog bones off to make cutting the old pins much easier. I tried to pri them off with a screw driver, but just ended up deforming the plastic around the latch.

I'm pleased with the tight fit of the latches now, will try them out on the highway later today.

Edit:
I was cruising at 80 and there was no hood bounce. The true test will be a windy day but I am very confident that there will be no hood lift.

Last edited by Duma3421; 05-13-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

I just put them on yesterday, they are freaking TIGHT! I could barely get them to latch. I will try the highway thing this week. So far it seems like a tornado couldn't blow them off. It was a pain to get the old ones off without scratching the paint. I used two pairs of vise grips and pulled them apart. There were no instructions with the kit. Mine came in a plastic pack that said "Detailed instructions" included. But there were none.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karyn
Okay... does "Fricken tight" mean they are hard to get on and off, or does it mean you like them?

See Phat- means cool, pretty, nice, and Fat means big, large, overweight.

Please elaborate....

Is this something I can put on by myself, or do you think I will need help?
I don't think you will have a problem installing them or latching them. They are about three times tighter than stock now if that helps, and of course that's just an estimate.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Karyn
Okay... does "Fricken tight" mean they are hard to get on and off, or does it mean you like them?

See Phat- means cool, pretty, nice, and Fat means big, large, overweight.

Please elaborate....

Is this something I can put on by myself, or do you think I will need help?
Yes you can put them on by yourself, and this morning I took the Jeep to work and took the highway, seems like they are working. I didn't see any hood flap at 75mph with strong winds. I don't know why Jeep couldn't come up with a recall for a $20 part.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

because that 20 dollar replacement would be a 2,384,860 dollar fix for just parts on 2007 models only. As long as its not a safety issue, like them actually breaking and flying up covering the drivers view thus causing a 15 car pile up on multiple occasions, they will hold off paying it out.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those are definitely better than the stock ones. I've seen a thread on here that talked about locking hood latches (so people can't just open your hood like they can now).
Old 05-16-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where are you folks that have the new latches getting them from? I am supposedly the first on the list at 4wheeldrive.com and have had my order in since March 14th and today they said maybe end of May or early June. What's the deal, am I being hosed or are they really not available?
Jim
Old 05-16-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

I had an order in with 4wd for a couple of months, and they kept moving the expected date back 3 weeks at a time. I canceled my order. Eventually Daystar will produce more than 4 or 5 at a time and meet the demand. They definitely jumped the gun on offering for sale items they cannot deliver. This is the latest trend in the aftermaket industry. Hype everything to the max, and offer products for sale months before you are capable of delivering the goods.

You could probably order a Rubicon unlimited or a Shrockworks rear bumper with tire carrier, and wait less time.

Quick Reply: Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...