Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...

Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if it works that is awesome, chysler should buy this for us though...imo
Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalex
I got mine this past Friday and installed them immediately. They are AWESOME. Completely different feel (much more secure) when latching. They are a nice tight fit and have completely eliminated the shake, rattle and rock of the hood lift. Yesterday was unbelievably windy, so I got a great chance to test them out. It just F&**$ING pisses me off that this isn't standard factory issue. Compared to the upgrade, the factory rubber "dog bones" a obviously a piece of Sh*t.

The directions that come with them SUCK... but then, it isn't rocket science to figure it out. I will add this to make your life a bit easier:

1. When removing the factory latches, you have to pop the plastic bolts that are holding the rubber "dog bone" in. The easiest way to do so, is with a flat head screw driver on the FRONT end of the JK. I would also do the top first. Keep the unit attached to the vehicle helps with leverage.

2. The new metal pins that replace the plastic ones do not slide in very easily. This is a good thing as it adds to the tight fit. Make sure you put the pins in first before applying the glue (see #3) and putting in the screw.

3.. There is a tiny tube of some pretty serious glue that comes with the bolts that attach the new "dog bone". It says to put a drop on both ends before securing. There isn't a lot, and it is easy to run out if you do this wrong. The best way is to only put the blue glue on the screw after the assembly (bolt) is in place. Then tighten. Lastly,

4. Don't go crazy with tightening the screws. You might be tempted to get two screw-drivers and drill away on both sides. If you apply the glue, I don't think there is any reason to do this. The pins are in tight enough for you to get a good snug screw job and the glue will make sure it stays together until well after your lease/car payments are up.

For anyone who wants to know, I ordered my upgrade the day before this thread was started, March 19th. I was told Daystar had two issues. The first obviously was simply demand... they can't make them fast enough. The second was a bad shipment that had to be scrapped and re-done, delaying a lot of us that had ordered a while ago.

Either way, it was completely worth the wait and I would recommend these to ANYONE that drives a Jeep.
Do they stretch at all or are they hard nylon? I guess I mean do they give at all or is all the compression done with the spring and the rubber gasket along the front edge of the hood.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=07rube;422562]Zip ties worked for me. No need to make it too tight.

Latch open.

I don't trust anyone who drinks light beer.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't like the idea that they do not stretch at all...if that is ithe case. Due to tolerancing on all parts involved, some leeway may be necessary...and maybe not. Just make sure there is not a big difference in amount of force to engage each one.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4JEXEP4
Do they stretch at all or are they hard nylon? I guess I mean do they give at all or is all the compression done with the spring and the rubber gasket along the front edge of the hood.
They are made of plastic, so they definitely stretch, but they do not give like a rubber band does... which is the problem with the factory part.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

looks like i might try the tie method. worth a shot at least.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was never scared of my hood popping open, untill last night...

not really all that windy, but a Big rig blew by me doing at least 80mph (one a 2 lane road no less!!) and i thought i was gonna be staring at the top of my hood thru the windshield. i am sure it would never actually happen but it made me think of this thread and i called the Jeep shop right away. LOL
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine this past Friday and installed them immediately. They are AWESOME. Completely different feel (much more secure) when latching. They are a nice tight fit and have completely eliminated the shake, rattle and rock of the hood lift. Yesterday was unbelievably windy, so I got a great chance to test them out. It just F&**$ING pisses me off that this isn't standard factory issue. Compared to the upgrade, the factory rubber "dog bones" a obviously a piece of Sh*t.

The directions that come with them SUCK... but then, it isn't rocket science to figure it out. I will add this to make your life a bit easier:

1. When removing the factory latches, you have to pop the plastic bolts that are holding the rubber "dog bone" in. The easiest way to do so, is with a flat head screw driver on the FRONT end of the JK. I would also do the top first. Keep the unit attached to the vehicle helps with leverage.

2. The new metal pins that replace the plastic ones do not slide in very easily. This is a good thing as it adds to the tight fit. Make sure you put the pins in first before applying the glue (see #3) and putting in the screw.

3.. There is a tiny tube of some pretty serious glue that comes with the bolts that attach the new "dog bone". It says to put a drop on both ends before securing. There isn't a lot, and it is easy to run out if you do this wrong. The best way is to only put the blue glue on the screw after the assembly (bolt) is in place. Then tighten. Lastly,

4. Don't go crazy with tightening the screws. You might be tempted to get two screw-drivers and drill away on both sides. If you apply the glue, I don't think there is any reason to do this. The pins are in tight enough for you to get a good snug screw job and the glue will make sure it stays together until well after your lease/car payments are up.

For anyone who wants to know, I ordered my upgrade the day before this thread was started, March 19th. I was told Daystar had two issues. The first obviously was simply demand... they can't make them fast enough. The second was a bad shipment that had to be scrapped and re-done, delaying a lot of us that had ordered a while ago.

Either way, it was completely worth the wait and I would recommend these to ANYONE that drives a Jeep.
Finally got them in today, thanks for the tips should help with the install.

Edit:
I just opened the box and don't see any instructions???? In fact all the peices are out of the plastic packaging scattered in the bottom of the quadratec box.

Last edited by Duma3421; 05-06-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Duma3421
Finally got them in today, thanks for the tips should help with the install.

Edit:
I just opened the box and don't see any instructions???? In fact all the peices are out of the plastic packaging scattered in the bottom of the quadratec box.
There are no instructions at all, except for a tiny mention about the blue goo in the tiniest print ever. As far as the bag being opened, that's a bit surprising, but if all parts are in there, no big deal.

You should have two new rubber "dog bones", four (4) long screw joints with matching screws, one (1) tube a blue goo.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are no instructions at all, except for a tiny mention about the blue goo in the tiniest print ever. As far as the bag being opened, that's a bit surprising, but if all parts are in there, no big deal.

You should have two new rubber "dog bones", four (4) long screw joints with matching screws, one (1) tube a blue goo.
their all there thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...