Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...

Old 03-20-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hate the fact that the aftermarket is coning up with fixes for the problem while the JEEP company just turns a blind eye to the problem! It may be a safety issue when the hood flies up! But 25 bucks is cheap if it works, now I just wait...... and wait....... and wait........
Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
can you make the picture a tiny bit larger? I can't quite make out the details...

hahahaha,
I like how I had to scroll a whole lot across to quote you.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

the hood moves a little bit, big deal

is it a safety problem, i doubt it

will i get these??? probably

blaming Jee is premature
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepik
the hood moves a little bit, big deal

is it a safety problem, i doubt it

will i get these??? probably

blaming Jee is premature
On the highway at speed, passing a truck, my hood bounces 1/2 to 3/4" and it is just a matter of time before the rubber parts fail. Hopefully the metal hood latch will catch the hood, but will the thin sheet metal bend from the wind pressure? I don't want to find out.

I place all the blame on Jeep for using thin, non-reinforced metal in the hood. Maybe a brace or a better latch could fix the problem. I have taken mine to the dealer for the problem and they have no way to fix it, although they do acknowledge that it is a common problem with the JK's. I did what I could with the vacuum tube under the seal, but the latches have stretched and it is starting again.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah but has it actually failed????

show me one hood catch that has failed to hold the hood, then we can start blaming Jeep
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

I had my rubber latch on the drivers side completely snap off on me on the road when a Large truck passed by. The scariest momment I ever had in my Jeep! This is a real serious issue. the center latch did do it's job but I am absolutely amazed that my hood did not bend with the force of the wind. I really want a set of these, but I want to see one before I do.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

these things aren't even available yet. 4x4rockshop has them listed on their website, but they don't know when they will actually become available. they are guessing 3-4 weeks.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

i just called quadratec, they said at best 2 weeks
Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm only going to say one thing.....if you want to save the $30. Use 1 zip tie per side around the rubber straps. Fixes the hood flap for good! I personally tried all of the hood mods and the zip ties is the best and you won't need the daystars unless you just want them
Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
I had my rubber latch on the drivers side completely snap off on me on the road when a Large truck passed by. The scariest momment I ever had in my Jeep! This is a real serious issue. the center latch did do it's job but I am absolutely amazed that my hood did not bend with the force of the wind. I really want a set of these, but I want to see one before I do.

Here is proof Jeep needs to do something about this we shouldnt have to buy aftermarket parts to keep our Jeeps safe.

Quick Reply: Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...