Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...

Old 11-29-2008, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do you install the zip tie while the hood is latched or just trial and error how tight to make them. I have to admit I am sitting inside and could probably figure this out in the driveway. Input from those having done it is always easier!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
No, you don't cut them. This picture wasn't for this purpose, but if you take a close look at the passenger side I think you'll see how they're installed. Don't make them too tight or you won't be able to latch the hood without breaking the tie.

thanks for that! another mod added to the list!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kflash
So do you install the zip tie while the hood is latched or just trial and error how tight to make them. I have to admit I am sitting inside and could probably figure this out in the driveway. Input from those having done it is always easier!
I installed them with the hood latched down. But, don't snug down the zip-ties. Look at that second image I posted to get an idea of how loose. Anyway, they sell them in packs of ten or so, so if you muck one up, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. Remember: 11" zip-ties (longer than "normal"). It also helps to have a pick (or you could bend a paper clip) to reach under the latch and pull the end of the zip-tie out.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-29-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every JK has this problem unless some action has been taken to stop it. However, the conditions need to be just right to see it. In Oklahoma, those conditions occur quite often: Two lane highway driving, oncoming truck traffic, heavy crosswinds. Other conditions can cause it, too. I've seen it headed down a four lane Interstate with high headwinds.

There are many fixes. This one works, is very cheap, doesn't take away the spring that raises the hood when opening it, and doesn't take a crow bar to latch--use 11" zip-ties:

Uh,, no,, not every jeep,, I've had two JK 2drs now,, a 07 which got to 23k miles then totaled and now my 08 and I'm at 14K miles,, My 07 was one of the first 2drs released,, early 06 produced.. That one had no hood bounce whatsoever,, even up to 95 mph in traffic.. Now my 08,, its scary in any wind condition at speed above 45 mph.. Seems the first run had better rubber dogbones,, maybe they were the same as the tj? like the JK ones weren't ready or something? I'm getting the daystars asap!
Hopefully this week..
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Uh,, no,, not every jeep,, I've had two JK 2drs now ...
With all respect to your experience, there's absolutely no design reason for one JK to not do it while another does. And, we've had a number of folks testify their JK does not, then return later to sheepishly admit that they finally did see it--once conditions were just right.

I had my JK for five months before I saw it the first time. And when I saw it it scared the crap out of me.

Bottom line: They all do it. The zip-tie fix is simple. Chose to not do it at your own risk--which is what I did--learning during a 5,000 mile trip that my JK suffered just as badly as those described here on JK-Forum--on a long leg on U.S. Highway 50--America's Loneliest Road--and where it's rather difficult to find anyone--much less a store that sells zip-ties.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

I just picked up the daystar links,, thats how I'm fixing my 08.. My 08 did it from day one,, but has been getting worse.. My 07 did not.. the hood would flex,, the sheetmetal would flex in the center.. I used to think that was what everybody was talking about.. But I do have to say that the hood latches feel way different from the 07 to 08.. My 07 was built in 06,, Maybe the early one had the rubber from a different supplier? Like whoever made the TJ ones? The latches on my 08 are loose,, well,, the rubber is really soft.. or should I say flexible.. I had different issues on my 07 than some have had,, the paint missing in multiple places,, missing tie downs,, esp/traction control issues,, radio issues.. seatbelt issues.. but I did have floor lights..
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

i have them on my jeep. i actually ordered them from rustys offroad. they were about the same price. maybe a couple dollars cheaper but rustys is close to where i live so i got them in like a day or so.
they work great. but you really have to want to get into the hood because they are tight!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

With all respect to your experience, there's absolutely no design reason for one JK to not do it while another does. And, we've had a number of folks testify their JK does not, then return later to sheepishly admit that they finally did see it--once conditions were just right.

I had my JK for five months before I saw it the first time. And when I saw it it scared the crap out of me.

Bottom line: They all do it. The zip-tie fix is simple. Chose to not do it at your own risk--which is what I did--learning during a 5,000 mile trip that my JK suffered just as badly as those described here on JK-Forum--on a long leg on U.S. Highway 50--America's Loneliest Road--and where it's rather difficult to find anyone--much less a store that sells zip-ties.
If there is no design reason for them to need be replaced on some and not others....then why has Chrysler only issued a recall for the '09 models?...just curiosity

BTW I have the Daystars on my '08 and love 'em
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
If there is no design reason for them to need be replaced on some and not others....then why has Chrysler only issued a recall for the '09 models?...just curiosity

BTW I have the Daystars on my '08 and love 'em
Either they're cheap (okay, they ARE cheap, but maybe not that cheap), or their production lead times don't allow them to do all JKs at one time; the rest will follow later as production catches up. Obviously this is an issue that affects more than the '09s.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

i doubt that we are looking at a desing issue. Otherwise the Daystars would not work. I believethat this a part that is outsourced by Jeep and that the Quality of the part itself varies from day to day. It's really a matter of rubber compound.

Quick Reply: Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...