Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting...........................
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you guys are right. Scared me the first time I pulled them into place. For a sec I thought it wasn't gonna go! Another thing, it looks like the hood is almost resting on the fenders at the front it pulled it so tight.

I'll wait a few weeks to see if they loosen up a bit. I tried the spring removal trick and thought that was enough, but ordered these anyway. I hope these work out!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tackindy
I hope you guys are right. Scared me the first time I pulled them into place. For a sec I thought it wasn't gonna go! Another thing, it looks like the hood is almost resting on the fenders at the front it pulled it so tight.

I'll wait a few weeks to see if they loosen up a bit. I tried the spring removal trick and thought that was enough, but ordered these anyway. I hope these work out!
Yeah, this was my concern. I bet down the road you'll hear about problems associated with these. The spring removal works perfect and costs zero.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get 2-12” zip ties and rap one around the rubber part. It will cut 80% of the movement.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

i just installed them. it was easy to do. the only thing is that it is really hard to close the latches now(meaning it takes alot of force to make them clip shut). i have tested them and there is no hood flutter at all. over all a great product.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Daystar is on back order...I ordered a set weekes ago...

For some people removing the spring helps...for others, it doesn't...zip ties seem to be a reliable but ghetto solution....I decided to go with the Hood Wranglers as my wife drives it, and a zip tie would make her head explode if she had to open the hood.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Mr. T
Very true. I just pulled the spring off of mine two weeks ago. Haven't had it budge since. No problems at highway speeds, winds, nothing. I'd give that a shot first, before spending anything...
My Plan B was a simple strip of weather stripping along the hood's seating area so that the stock latch would be pulling down against more tension, and, any flutter would be damped as well.

I also worried that w/o that spring...the last line of defense was that stamped metal little hookey doo hood latch that i would not trust further than, wel, at all actually. (I had a hood fly open at 50 mph one time when one of those little latchey thingies let go...the hood made a form fitted new metal windshield, bending over the area where the glass used to be...and sending the glass into my lap, face, etc...

Not a pleasant memory.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I received my Daystar Hood Wranglers last night. I'm pretty confident that they will stop the hood from bouncing, but I'm not sure how much I like them. My husband had a REALLY hard time getting the hood closed with them, and I'm quite sure that there's no way I will be able to close the hood myself. I'm a bit worried that the excessive force required to close the hood could eventually fatigue the sheet metal over time. I'm hoping they stretch a bit over time.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
I had a hood fly open at 50 mph one time when one of those little latchey thingies let go...the hood made a form fitted new metal windshield, bending over the area where the glass used to be...and sending the glass into my lap, face, etc...

Not a pleasant memory.
I've had this happen too in another vehicle. The glass was not what scared the crap out of me, it was flying down the highway at 60+ mph and not being able to see anything.

That was where my saying "First you say it, then you do it" (As in crap your britches) came from.

Originally Posted by TEEJ
My Plan B was a simple strip of weather stripping along the hood's seating area so that the stock latch would be pulling down against more tension, and, any flutter would be damped as well.
Teej, did you ever implement your Plan B and did it work?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Ben
JK Freak

That stupid plastic piece actually helped a lot before I ripped it out in the mud, after replacing it with a true skid plate up there, I don't have near as much hood lift/flutter, although still some, these look like the way to go, was it really that much more expensive for jeep to use these in the first place?

Quick Reply: Daystar "Hood Wrangler" replacement hood latches...