Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar Hood Latches...If you have them...

Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah hard to latch, especially on a cold day, but well worth the effort. I love them and even at 100mph there is no hood flutter, (dont ask)!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

great mod,well worth the money.got mine at 4wp for 20 bucks saturday.easy to install
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubbad323
I just got the daystar hood latches and having difficulty with the install. I noticed that the replacement bands are shorter than the original. I assume this is how the hood lift is eliminated however for the life of me, I cant get the hood latched with them. I think they are a bit too short. For those of you that have these, is this the way it should be? In order to get the hood closed, I think I have to muscle it but Im afraid of causing some sort of damage.

I double checked and the package says for the JK model and I received it sealed so its not a shipping error.

Thanks! Just wanted to throw it around here before I decide to return these things. I already broke off the pins on the original latches as per the instructions so Im stuck with using the bolts to attach the original latches.

Bubba
I just purchased them this weekend and 20 minutes later they were on. A little hard to latch at first, but they work great and I am not very mechanical. They DO STRETCH so don't panic. Use a little strength. GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Mine were the same way as everyone's already mentioned - hard at first, but now, having it about ohhh 8 months or so, hood flutter has returned. :(
This is the first time I have heard of the Daystars loosening up. I have used these on both JKs I owned, the first one for 2 years with no problems and on my new JK for 10 months with no problems too. Best fix yet, I tried the '09 latches and tube trick with no luck.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 PM
JK Super Freak

i bought mine off a guy on here gettin off his lease, so mine worked fine, no problems, put them on when i was home for R+R, very good investment, i hated that whole hood lift, kept thinkin the hood was gonna come up at me when i was driving, so i would always slow down as a reaction, but now, i dont even see the hood move. Thanks DAYSTAR!!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it is time to replace the zip ties I have been using for over 2 years.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Zip ties sure are cheap though! I have seen the daystars take off paint where the hood and body meet. . .
Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sjak
Zip ties sure are cheap though! I have seen the daystars take off paint where the hood and body meet. . .
I've been very happy with my Daystar's, but yeah, every now and then I walk by the front end and think, Man the front edges of the hood sure get pulled awfully close to the body underneath.
No contact or loss of paint that I can tell of yet, though.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by armycop
This is the first time I have heard of the Daystars loosening up. I have used these on both JKs I owned, the first one for 2 years with no problems and on my new JK for 10 months with no problems too. Best fix yet, I tried the '09 latches and tube trick with no luck.
Yeah it took me by surprise a few weeks back when we made a trip. It was a wet and windy day, and didn't notice it at first with all the rain, but once the rain let up, sure enough - every time a 18 wheeler passed by, whooooosh and you see the hood raise up about an inch or so... Not near as bad as the stock latches were, but it's sure back. Guess I'll just go the route of the zip ties on the Daystars. Maybe a bad batch? Maybe the Oklahoma sun heated them up too much to where they stretched some?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I put them on last night. Didn't bother to take the parts off the hood like the instructions say. Just put material between my channel locks and the hood. Old parts came out pretty easily. New ones went on just as easy. Yeah, tight fight, but now the hood doesn't move.
I just wish I still had my hood spring that I removed last year. Maybe I can get a new one for cheap.

Quick Reply: Daystar Hood Latches...If you have them...