Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daystar Body Lift Help

Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daystar Body Lift Help

I just installed the daystar 1'' Bl on my 09 sahara.. I took it for a drive and noticed that the steering was hard to turn,and it was making a squeak like sound when I turn the wheel left and right . I did not have a torque wrench to check the torque of the bolts stupid I know .. Do you think over tightening the bolts could effect the steering in this way? I will pick up a torque wrench first thing in the morning,and set the proper torque.. Any one else have steering issues after installing this bl? I need to get this fixed asap please help if you can.

Pics added, problem is coming from were the shaft comes in to the cabin.. It's making a squeeking noise from the rubber contact.. Does this angle look way off?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

J33PIN

Last edited by J33PIN; 06-25-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now with Pics Added

J33PIN
Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm, i havnt heard of anything like that, did you miss any instructions?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

No it was pretty much buy the book, I didn't have a torque wrench so I probably have over tightend the bolts .. I did have to jack up the frame pretty high to get the front spacer in, I wonder if that could have got the shaft out of place?

J33PIN
Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you get someone to turn the wheel while you look under the jeep?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
can you get someone to turn the wheel while you look under the jeep?
Yes I had a friend turn the wheel,I could here the sound coming from right were it goes in to the fire wall.. I tried to move the shaft a bit by hand to relieve the binding and the sound got a bit better.. I'm going to lift it up again tomm morning and torque all the body mount bolts to the specs, and try to maybe relieve some of the tension.. It seems if i greased it on the rubber bushings it would help it's like a rubber on rubber squeak ..

J33PIN

Last edited by J33PIN; 06-26-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I came up with a fix sorta. I had to take the bushing out from the fire wall were the shaft comes in .. It had slipped out of place and was pinched causing the bushing to squeak on the inside.. Both bushings are out of place now and i cant get then in properly.. Will this cause any problems besides the elements getting in to the cabin? Any help is appreciated, I am gonna work on it more on monday but have a big wheeling trip tomm and sunday

thanks
J33PIN
Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you disconnect the steering shaft as per the instructions while installing the lift?

i dont think simply overtightening the body bolts would cause that. something else is going on

the bushing at the firewall has popped out on people, see the clunky steering threads, there is a fix in there for it.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Happy, for my daystar lift they did not require you to unhook the steering shaft Thanks for the tip, i will check that thread agin

J33PIN
Old 06-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh.

the PA kit specifically says to do that, i would assume to prevent just this from happening.

IIRC the fix is mostly just reinstall everything and use a pipeclamp on the shaft to prevent it from falling apart again, but it has been a while since i read it. I hope you get it fixed .

Quick Reply: Daystar Body Lift Help