Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Danger of worrying about getting problems other jeepers have had...

Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Danger of worrying about getting problems other jeepers have had...

Somewhat embarassing, but if it helps anyone from the same mistake, I'll take one for the team.

For example, I just put on my 2.5" Teraflex lift and 35s.

Install took longer cause I was mostly by myself doing it, and it was hot as balls on Friday. I also had a fiancee at home upset over some of the wedding planning for our wedding in 3 weeks. Took 10 hours, no break for food. (mistake #1, hunger & fatigue)

Anyway, I drove home after the install at my buddy's house, then back up that way again the next day to help another friend move. (about 60-70 miles). On the way home after helping move, I hit a bump in the road (or I thought it was a bump). A truck in front of me lost a mattress, I swerved to miss that. All the sudden the jeep started to shimmy and I heard a noise, like a rock stuck in the thread. I pull over, looked in the treads. Nadda. Drive a little more, clip clip clip... pull over, nothing in the threads.

Drive some more, shimmy again. My fear after reading all the stories... DEATH WOBBLE... I got home and had to go out that night, so I just left it to look over the bolts the next day. I was planning on re-torquing anyway per the instructions.

Sunday I get under the jeep and start unbolting everything, removed track bar, loosened lower control arms & uppers. I even made a trip to lowes to get grade 8 9/16 bolts. When I got to the drivers side upper control arm, I happened to see a scratch on my new rims. (Shit! already I thought?) Then I noticed I was missing 2 lug nuts!

Then I was able to undo a 3 with just my fingers! WTF. I went around, all the lugs were loose on the jeep. I was this " " close to loosing a tire on the highway!

Friday night, when the jeep was in the air, I used an impact to tighten them after finger threading them. Once on the ground, I grabbed my breaker bar and put a good amount of weight on them. I should have grabbed the torque wrench, but I was hot, dirty & tired, it was out of reach and I got lazy (mistake #.... i don't know). Granted, I used to slap on drag slicks and skinnies almost every weekend a few years ago. I could do the car in 15 minutes. I have never EVER had a loose lugnut.

The moral of this story is to not miss the forest for the trees. I was so focused on thinking I got the same problem this other forum member had or whatever, that I didn't start at the most obvious thing. (hindsight being 20/20)
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good story to keep in mind. Safety safety safety. Fatigue and no buddy to check your work and not being focused can lead to disaster.

Know safety, no pain
No safety, know pain
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Damn good thing you caught it. How do you Like the TF 2.5"? Are you wishing for more or is it enough for you?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your engagement and on installing that kit by yourself! Thanks for choosing TeraFlex!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Congrats on your engagement and on installing that kit by yourself!
Remember "Keep It Simple Stupid" The KISS theory works wonders!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for having the courage to post this. We once did the same thing in high school after working 12 hours to install a 4 inch lift on a K5. We kept hearing chirp chirp chirp as we were out cruising. Lucky we caught it like you did.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Congrats on your engagement and on installing that kit by yourself! Thanks for choosing TeraFlex!
Thanks, and you are welcome. I'm registered at Quadratec and Sears. LOL. Just kidding. Not really
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the mental note. I will be installing my lift this weekend, and probably by myself. I have to make a check list
Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tlminh
This is a good story to keep in mind. Safety safety safety. Fatigue and no buddy to check your work and not being focused can lead to disaster.

Know safety, no pain
No safety, know pain
I am stealing this I'm a safety supervisor and I like this. I like a lot actually. A lil cheasy but hey it's my job.

Quick Reply: Danger of worrying about getting problems other jeepers have had...