Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana44/RE longarm

Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana44/RE longarm

Just installed my new Rubicon Dana44 front axle, along with the RE 4.5" longarmssystem. The left upper controlarm, where it attaches to the housing makes it almost impossible to attach the upper e-locker connection. And if I get it there, I'm afraid it'll be crushed by the controlarm... Anyone experienced the same?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm surprised by this. There are many people on the forum that are using this lift and love it. It seems odd nobody has mentioned this yet. Is your Jeep left hand drive (us style) or right hand drive (export) since I see you live in Sweden. Can you post up pics of the problem?

Ty
Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
I'm surprised by this. There are many people on the forum that are using this lift and love it. It seems odd nobody has mentioned this yet. Is your Jeep left hand drive (us style) or right hand drive (export) since I see you live in Sweden. Can you post up pics of the problem?

Ty
Ty,

I was actually going to post about this issue myself. I have just installed the RE 3.5 SuperFlex lift (the same one that you have) and I think my e-loc cable is marginal too.

The actual lift that I got was exactly 3.5" in the rear and 4 13/16 in the front. The front was lifted 1 5/16" more than the rear. Now this is all to the good as it now sits dead level instead of nose down. But two problems arise, the first being the e-locker cable length. The connector is laying down and has two push tabs holding it in place. It looks like I could put a 2" x 2" by 3/4 wide x 1/8" thick 90 degree angle bracket there, bolting it to the push tab holes on the dif and with two holes on the upward facing leg, which would point the connector straight up and give an effective increase in length of 4 or 5". Unless of course there is some reason not to have it pointing up (like moisture?). Other than that I think it may need to be extended by splicing in 6 to 8" of wire and shrink wraping the connections. It sure looks to me that the way it is wires will pull apart at full articulation with left tire extended and right tire stuffed.

The other issue is with this much lift in the front RE is wrong when they say you MAY need to change the front driveshaft. Just sitting level it looks like there is very little left at the transfer case joint. So in my usual overkill fashion I just ordered JE Reel 1350 front and rear drivesahfts from David. I'm not complaining aout the amount of lift or needing to do this; just a heads up that there isn't any MAY on the front driveshaft with this lift. The rear would be OK with the stock drivesahft from the looks of things.

As an aside with this lift and 35's it looks like what Jeep should have done from the factory. It just looks "right". The proportions are spot on.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're right, Chuck - I've also decided on extending the cables, seems scary on a full flex as they are today... anyway, I've now tightened the upper arm axle joint which made it possible to attach the connection, but it still looks like it's very close to be crushed when everything starts to move...
Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm installing the same lift this week, can you post picks ?
I also Have E-Locs.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sure thing, I'll get some pics tomorrrow!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Old 06-05-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, ok, tomorrow came early!

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional photographer, for those who believed so.

Quick Reply: Dana44/RE longarm