Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana-Spicer Ultimate 44 Issues

Old 02-06-2017 | 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default UD 44 vs. Mopar HD Housing

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Well, you can definitely cut the shaft and that's honestly how most aftermarket shafts are made. That said, you shouldn't have to and I don't think you have any interest in doing so.

Something isn't right here. You mentioned 4wheelparts and we know that they're selling UD44s at a loss. Or, so we think. What we know is that we can build a UD44 for less than Dana sells them. It could be that Trans is building them using the HD housing and using their own shafts. I'd be shocked if Dana sent out shafts not cut right. They follow OEM manufacturing requirements and a mistake like that would be very significant.
The Ultimate 44 has pinion and caster correction, but I don't think the Mopar HD Housing (Part Number P5160036) does. Is there a Mopar housing that includes pinion and caster correction?
Old 02-06-2017 | 12:17 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Forgive me if I missed it, but what failed/broke on the axle?
Old 02-06-2017 | 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Rancho, it would appear something was set-up incorrectly with the pinion, I attached some pics of the internals. Keep in mind, my part of this was to bolt my control arms up, put the knuckles on and install the shafts. I hadn't even wired up the locker yet and had only driven approx 5 miles after servicing the dif with Royal Purple 75w140

I went to 4Wheel Parts today to compare my new axle shaft with the shaft from the "old" broken axle. What do you know, it's longer. This is some serious bad quality control from Dana-Spicer. Fortunately I was able to take the old shaft and leave the new one and will install that in the axle. Not quite sure how I ended up with the wrong shaft. Props to the guys at 4 Wheel Parts in Sacramento, Scott and another guy whose name i can't remember were amazingly helpful!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	808.7 KB
ID:	666074Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2094.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	823.8 KB
ID:	666075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	666076Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	666077
Old 02-06-2017 | 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rod B
The Ultimate 44 has pinion and caster correction, but I don't think the Mopar HD Housing (Part Number P5160036) does. Is there a Mopar housing that includes pinion and caster correction?
The UD44 can be ordered with or without caster/pinion correction. The Mopar D44HD/J8 does not come with caster/pinion correction.
Old 03-06-2017 | 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
The UD44 can be ordered with or without caster/pinion correction. The Mopar D44HD/J8 does not come with caster/pinion correction.
What was the outcome of this? In the process of installing the same axle with the same issue. Did Dana send you a new shaft? Did you cut yours???
Old 03-06-2017 | 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fattirefury12
What was the outcome of this? In the process of installing the same axle with the same issue. Did Dana send you a new shaft? Did you cut yours???
The outcome? New shaft? The D44HD/J8 housing has the same pinion angle and caster as the regular factory Housing. This is not a flaw, You use geo brackets or adjustable control arms to dial the angle in.
Old 03-07-2017 | 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

I think you are missing the point of the thread. Spicer provided me a passenger side axle shaft that was too long, like the op (with the purchase of the complete axle unit marketed as "the ultimate Dana 44"). Thankfully a buddy of mine provided me a loaner shaft. What I am interested in is how Spicer handled the situation. Did they send a new shaft, have him cut the provided shaft or if there is a trick we are missing. Spicer opens in eight minutes, I will be calling them. Would have been nice to see someone else's experience.
Old 03-07-2017 | 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I think you are missing the point of the thread. Spicer provided me a passenger side axle shaft that was too long, like the op (with the purchase of the complete axle unit marketed as "the ultimate Dana 44"). Thankfully a buddy of mine provided me a loaner shaft. What I am interested in is how Spicer handled the situation. Did they send a new shaft, have him cut the provided shaft or if there is a trick we are missing. Spicer opens in eight minutes, I will be calling them. Would have been nice to see someone else's experience.

You quoted my post so I was not sure why you were asking me. I did not order a complete assembly. I purchased the Mopar housing and built my own.
Old 03-08-2017 | 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

So it seems that my axle (with e-locker) shipped with shafts for an ARB locker, which is no longer an option in these units. Those shafts are longer on the passenger end and shorter on the drivers side.

Spicer shipped me the proper shafts, which are due in today on their dime. We will see what happens.

Bummer is it is on my dime to hold my daily up for a day as well as paying the shop for double time. Spicer didn't seem to care about that, pretty frustrating.

That being said, I hope I don't have additional issues. But with this service I wish I had my local shop build up a Dynatrac, as they would back the build up.

Quick Reply: Dana-Spicer Ultimate 44 Issues