Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana-Spicer Ultimate 44 Issues

Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana-Spicer Ultimate 44 Issues

I was attempting to install a Dana-Spicer Ultimate 44 today for the second time(first one broke and this is a warranty replacement).

When attempting to install the passenger side axle shaft it won't seem to go all the way in. We looked down the tube and didn't see any obstructions. Greased the splines and saw only about the first half is engaging, but the end of the axle shft is hitting a medal rod somewhere inside the differential. I believe this is a pin on the carrier.

Any help or thoughts would be useful, I've attached pics of the grease and what the axle shaft looks like installed, you can see it sticks out just a bit too much.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	665945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	665946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	665947Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2102.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	665948
Old 02-05-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

did the driver's side gain in all the way?

Short of pulling to the dif cover to see what might be preventing the axel from going in I am not sure.

Silly question but are the spine counts correct?

Axel splines not twisted or distorted?

When I installed my U44 the axel shafts slid right in.

R/
Will
Old 02-05-2017, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

The drivers side went in fully and seated properly, the hub bolted on and everything. On my first U44 that broke 5 miles after install(internals built improperly), both shafts slid right in, so something is different about this one.

Splines all look great and seem to be correct. They are engaging internally, they just don't seem to go in far enough. We also attempted to lightly tap on the shaft with a mallet to see if it would seat but it is definitely up against that pin as you can see by the dab of grease on the end and the grease mark on the pin when looking down the shaft.

I haven't pulled the dif cover for two reasons:
1) I don't want Dana Spicer to argue that I messed something up looking in there. Doubt they would but better safe than sorry.
2) I have a picture of my last U44 internally and from the looks of it it is impossible to see the shaft anyways.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Is this a new housing and internals, and you are using your previously installed shafts, bearings, and knuckles?
Old 02-05-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any way there is one of the plastic spacer washers in there? I can't quite make out what I am seeing in that shot into the axle tube.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by pbeabout
Any way there is one of the plastic spacer washers in there? I can't quite make out what I am seeing in that shot into the axle tube.
I see what could be an out-of-focus plastic guide in there. He did say the shaft goes in and hits the cross pin in the differential. That would eliminate the plastic guide as a factor.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

All plastic spacers are accounted for.

The axle housing and shafts are brand new as are the seals, knuckles are the stock ones from my Dana 30.

Sorry for the quality of the pic, my goal was mostly to show the grease on the pin in the differential that came from the shaft hitting it.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Do you still have the old shaft and housing? Compare the lengths of the corresponding parts.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have no old parts except the knuckles, hubs and brake assemblies.

My intent is to go to 4Wheel Parts in Sacramento tomorrow(where the old broken Ultimate 44 is) and compare shaft lengths and measure the axle tube length.

My current thought is they either sent me a shaft that is too long or the axle tube is built incorrectly, whether that be a tube too short or the internals are built incorrectly.

We measure from the pin to the outside of the tubing and, if memory serves me right, got 30 3/4". We marked the shaft and verified it is going on to that point, so it literally can't sit down any further.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

If the new shafts are supposed to be the same length as OEM, I have a left and a right handy that I cam measure for you.

Quick Reply: Dana-Spicer Ultimate 44 Issues