Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 44 stock pinion flanges

Old 11-03-2015, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dana 44 stock pinion flanges

I picked up a couple of Rubicon take offs. However, the stock pinion flanges were replaced with pinion yokes. In an effort to not have to replace me stock rear drive shaft or my 1 month old Adams drive shaft, I'd like to replace the yokes with stock flanges.

Anyone have a set of Rubicon Dana 44 pinion flanges they would like to get rid of?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I picked up a couple of Rubicon take offs. However, the stock pinion flanges were replaced with pinion yokes. In an effort to not have to replace me stock rear drive shaft or my 1 month old Adams drive shaft, I'd like to replace the yokes with stock flanges.

Anyone have a set of Rubicon Dana 44 pinion flanges they would like to get rid of?
I just cut the stock flange off mine and bolted the u joint to the yoke. That u joint is sealed in with a wax product infused into it so it's not serviceable and didn't want to press out of the shaft. I bet someone has a flange laying around as they are not popular on the Forums.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

bump.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't you use the Adams shaft? Isn't it a 1310 joint with a flange adapter? You can ditch the adapter and use the yoke.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Why can't you use the Adams shaft? Isn't it a 1310 joint with a flange adapter? You can ditch the adapter and use the yoke.
I'm concerned it may not be long enough after the adapter is removed. This is not an area with which I have a lot (any) experience.

The rear shaft is still stock and I plan on keeping it that way until I break it or find some other reason to replace it.

I can always use the flanges off my stock axles, but I was trying to avoid that, for no particular reason.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I bought my driveshafts from Adams they said the difference in length between a flange shaft and a yoke shaft was only about an inch. Call them and they'll tell you if your length is ok, they are very helpful.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm concerned it may not be long enough after the adapter is removed. This is not an area with which I have a lot (any) experience.

The rear shaft is still stock and I plan on keeping it that way until I break it or find some other reason to replace it.

I can always use the flanges off my stock axles, but I was trying to avoid that, for no particular reason.
Shutterbug,

My front shaft works fine without the adaptor. I had it rebalanced though because of the weight of the adaptor being removed. I think it's the most affordable route.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

Agree. Front should be fine. There is a lot of adjustability. I had an Adams and mentioned I'd be stretching the front at some point and they said even a couple inches would be fine.

Personally, I prefer to avoid removing the pinion yoke. The correct process is a huge pain. Some people get away with swapping and torquing to say 160 ft lbs. Others do it and burn the pinion bearing up in no time.

The correct process is to remove the axle shafts and measure the pinion preload. Then new yoke goes on and you torque until the preload is slightly more or less (I forget which way it is). The bigger challenge is that preload is around 18" lbs. Good luck finding an accurate torque wrench for that.

Some mark the pinion nut, but the issue there is you should absolutely use a new pinion nut. Over torque and you crush the crush sleeve more and that's bad news. Under torque and that is also no good. The torque range could be anywhere from 150-300 ft lbs.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Adams told me the flange can be removed and it might work since the D44 requires are shorter shaft than the D30 anyway. I'd likely have to have it rebalanced as well.

But that means I will likely need to get a new rear shaft. Ugh.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Adams told me the flange can be removed and it might work since the D44 requires are shorter shaft than the D30 anyway. I'd likely have to have it rebalanced as well.

But that means I will likely need to get a new rear shaft. Ugh.
You shouldn't need to balance the front since it isn't under load. Try without. If you need to, it won't be much at a local driveline shop.

Andy can get the flange swapped on the rear for you. He knows what he is doing. Just run a stock yoke there. I swapped mine out and had no issues. If you go to a new shaft, you will have to toss more money at the rear than just that.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 stock pinion flanges