Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 44 Locker Wiring Question/Possible Solution Using ARB Harness

Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dana 44 Locker Wiring Question/Possible Solution Using ARB Harness

I just picked up a couple of Rubicon axles I plan to throw under my Sport and I have a question about wiring up the lockers. I know I can buy the harness and the dash switches and get it to work but that is going to cost about $130 bucks in parts and then I'm limited by being in 4LO for it to work. I have seen write-ups where people come straight off the locker to a relay and then to a switch and I like this option but its seems like a lot of wiring and I would like it to be cleaner than this. I am installing an ARB Compressor under the hood for air and hopefully for air lockers down the road and I was thinking of piggybacking off the harness to work the electric lockers. I read where another guy did something similar and I want to see if any of you on here have experience doing this or if you think my thinking is sound.

Here is a PDF of the wiring harness. My plan would be to wire the front and rear locker to the two wire connectors going to the solenoids. Then I could put a switch (which fits nicely in my lower swich panel and matches the compressor switch) in the front where the ARB Locker Switches would go in the future.

As best I can tell by the drawing the "RED" going to switch one is the Positive and when selected would provide the power needed to engage the rear locker. The "Yellow" would be the positive for the front and work in the same way. If I wanted them to work independently I could make a "RED" that comes off Switch 1 to Switch 2 then both would be hot and engage the locker when switched. (ideal setup) I wouldn't have to worry about 4LO or not and when I save up the pennys down the road to put the air lockers in I can just unplug the "cheap" switches and plug in the ARB switches and then connect the wires back to the solenoids.

Does this make sense? Anyone see a flaw in my thinking? I'm just trying to run wires once save a $130 bucks if I can and operate these lockers for the time being.

Huck

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arb-Wiring_2.jpg
Views:	2036
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	370008

Update ** the more I look at it, the only down I can see is that I will have to turn on the air compressor to provide the power. I would have to do this for air lockers so it doesn't seem that bad. **

Last edited by Huck271; 09-24-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed as I would like to hear what others have to say... Free bump.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Anyone? Surely someone has an opinion on this.

Huck
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 AM
JK Freak

the air compressor does not keep running with airlockers once the solenoids activate and the 85psi is in the line, right?
so if you have no lines going to lockers won't the compressor keep running while you are locked?
just a thought.....
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Huck271
Anyone? Surely someone has an opinion on this.

Huck
Your logic is sound except for the "Cleaner, simpler" part.

Originally Posted by rtguy1
the air compressor does not keep running with airlockers once the solenoids activate and the 85psi is in the line, right?
so if you have no lines going to lockers won't the compressor keep running while you are locked?
just a thought.....
He could probably just simply cap off the air lines. It would make for a very short cycle time though.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Your logic is sound except for the "Cleaner, simpler" part.

He could probably just simply cap off the air lines. It would make for a very short cycle time though.
The compressor will only run for a second. Until I buy the air locker I don't have the solenoid so the port Is capped.

Huck
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Connect up an air tank in line. This will add value as you need it when it is time to air up and it will lengthen the compressor cycle, not sure if an ultra short cycle has any damaging effects on pump seals in this aplication.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Anyone have an idea how to connect the dash lights doing it this way?

Huck
Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Anyone anyone??
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you ever get this worked out? What did you end up doing? I'm swapping a Rubi 44 with e-locker into my X. I've got the ARB compressor wired up already with ARB switch. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the e-locker.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 Locker Wiring Question/Possible Solution Using ARB Harness