Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 44 carrier shimming question

Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 44 carrier shimming question

I am in the middle of regearing my axles dana 30 up front and 44 in the back. On the rear axle I got everything removed and disassembled. I noticed that on the carrier there were no side to side shims. So my question for you is if I have to add shims to get the back lash do I add them on the inside of the carrier bearing aginst the carrier its self or on the outside of the carrier bearing.

Looking at BlackNorthernJK's picture it appear that the shims on the out side of the bearing.

Below is the only thing I had on the carrier. ther was 2 rings at the end of each bearing cap but they are not even close to the shims that cam with the master rebuild.

for the pinion gear I had one shim that was on the gear side of the bearing that measured at .045 I have documented that to help with the meshing of the gear.

Last edited by Robar; 07-18-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Competing forum
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For others. Yes the "rings" "big washers" "hoops, or loops" mentioned are the actual shims or 'spacers' They are located on the outside of the bearings. Shims, or single spacer, same thing...serves to specifically adjust backlash and bearing preload by taking up space and adjusting carrier (hence ring gear) into or out of mesh with pinion while effectively "squeezing" the bearings within their races to provide preload.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. The rings/shims that are stock are the same thickness, and the shims in the kit are much smaller in diameter. I am off to the local axle shop to get the correct shims.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the rest of the write up is helpful.
Sorry about the shims being the wrong size. Be sure to bring the same caliper you are using on your shims to measure the shims at the shop you go to.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will bring them, I did some measurement today and tried to put the bearing on using the oven and freezer method but didn't press on. In the morning I will go to a freinds shop to have them press on the bearings. once they are on I can check the gear mesh with the paint. I checked the backlash and I am at .006 I will check again after I verify the mesh.

Very good write up. One thing I should have done is break the torque on the yoke before removing the axle. I ended up using a rag to jam the ring to break the torque.

on another note the shims that came with the G2 master rebuild kit are the wrong ones and wont work between the carrier and the bearing it causes a lot of slop in side to side it moved around in the differential housing like a bobble head

Quick Reply: Dana 44 carrier shimming question