Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30/Yukon carrier/Aussie Locker Thrust washer question

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dana 30/Yukon carrier/Aussie Locker Thrust washer question

I am upgrading my gears from 3.21 as well as installing Aussie lockers.

I ordered the upgrade Yukon Carrier and the front Aussie Locker that is the correct fit for the new Carrier. I Already know I need TJ thrust washers. My question is, do I only need the Gear side thrust washers or do I need the Gear pinion thrust washers too?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need pinion thrust washer and carrier shims, as well as new bearings. Best is to buy the master install kits because they include all the parts required including the new bearings.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the master install kits

I found the answer to my question but for others I will explain in more detail,

When upgrading my 3.21 gears I need a new carrier - Purchased a Yukon carrier for the 4.88 gears. (carrier is the same as a TJ Dana 30)
To install the Aussie locker in this carrier you have to buy the Pre-JK Dana 30 Aussie locker (The JK Dana 30 Aussie locker only works with stock JK carriers)
This Aussie locker does not come with Thrust washers (you re-use the ones in your dana) BUT the JK thrust washers are thicker then the TJ Thrust washers. So you have to use TJ Thrust washers.

I purchased everything from Northridge4x4. After I called and explained to them the issue, they apologized and said they will immediately note in the system that the Aussie locker does not come with thrust washers. They will look into sourcing some TJ Thrust washers to have on hand for people who do the same upgrade as I am. (I was surprised at how fast they updated their website, It already has a note on the Aussie locker) I purchased all of my stuff over the phone, so hopefully there is a note in their system for the sales associates to see as well.

Long story Short - I just needed the gear side Thrust washers for a TJ, And because my jeep is currently on a rack in a shop, I called a place nearby and ordered the TJ thrust washers overnight for early delivery tomorrow so that I can get my jeep back.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So , what is the purpose of using TJ carrier is it cheaper?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

HI Folks,

I spoke with crzyamerican's shop yesterday to confirm what they needed. His synopsis is correct and a good reference for future buyers.

jtphoto JK - The standard Dana 30 and JK Dana 30 carriers are interchangeable. When you hit a carrier break and need to swap in a different carrier for new gears, the only aftermarket option I am aware of is a standard Dana 30 carrier.

Hope this helps. Feel free to give us a call anytime

~Cora
Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW AussiLocker, Thank you very much for the fast response and helping remedy the situation! Very much appreciated! You have my future business and recommendation
Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crzyamerican
BTW AussiLocker, Thank you very much for the fast response and helping remedy the situation! Very much appreciated! You have my future business and recommendation
So you were on the low side of the carrier break correct?

Why not use a carrier from a JK that had 3.73's? I just upgraded a JK, D30 from 3.73 in the front axle to 5.13 and I needed no new carrier as the one in the JK's that have 3.73 to start with have the appropriate break for a higher ratio.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
So you were on the low side of the carrier break correct?

Why not use a carrier from a JK that had 3.73's? I just upgraded a JK, D30 from 3.73 in the front axle to 5.13 and I needed no new carrier as the one in the JK's that have 3.73 to start with have the appropriate break for a higher ratio.
Yes, I was on the low side.

That is a good option, One I would have considered if I knew of the differences in carriers and if the price was similar. To give a little background....I wasn't aware that there were not any aftermarket "Jk specific carriers". So when I decided to do my gear upgrade and lockers, I called and spoke with Northridge4x4 and gave them all my jeeps info and what I was wanting to do. The items I purchased is what was recommended. The problem arose because Northridge4x4 said they were not aware that the Aussielocker they recommended (properly for the aftermarket Yukon carrier) did not come with thrust washers. Rather it recommends you re-use the ones you have if not damaged or worn. Of course since this locker is for a standard Dana 30, I would not have those thinner thrust washers to re-use.

I ordered some Thrust washers for a standard Dana 30 and had them overnighted. My gear/locker install was able to be finished earlier today and although I have only driven a few miles, so far I am very pleased. I will be giving them a light test this weekend so long as I am able to complete the break in period
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Why didn't you just go with a full case LS such as Truetrac or Detroit Soft locker rather than an open case and lunchbox locker? Or even stretch the budget out and go with an Eaton. The main reason for the lunchbox lockers is to avoid regear expenses.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue
Why didn't you just go with a full case LS such as Truetrac or Detroit Soft locker rather than an open case and lunchbox locker? Or even stretch the budget out and go with an Eaton. The main reason for the lunchbox lockers is to avoid regear expenses.
That was the plan. Well kind of. The main plan was to re-gear and while thinking about it I figured I should gets some lockers while the axles were apart. I had decided on getting a prorock 44 for the front with the gears and locker I wanted already installed and then just get a locker for the rear and re-gear it. I didn't want limited slip, I have been very happy with just my BLD but wanted to give full lockers a try, but I had some unfortunate and unexpected family emergencies come up. After they were taken care of for the most part, I was able to scrape enough together to continue my re-gear but had to opt for the auto lockers. I'll get to see how they do and feel and maybe in awhile I'll have the funds to swap them for selectable's.

Quick Reply: Dana 30/Yukon carrier/Aussie Locker Thrust washer question