Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 upgrades worth it?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 30 upgrades worth it?

Hey noob here, wondering is it worth getting chromoly shafts and 30 spline for the front Dana 30? If I did these upgrades do you believe the axle could handle 5.13 gears and a zip locker? From Yukon? Thanks guys!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Some people think it's worth it. But you might be better off just leaving it alone ( or throwing in a lunchbox if you want some traction up front) and starting a savings account towards an upgrade for if/when the 30 implodes.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

I think it depends on how hard and how often you are going to wheel it. I have a 30 up front with stock axles c gussets 5.13s 37s and a truss i dont wheel all the time but have taken it on difficult trails with no issues.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking to someone at a wheeling event earlier this year that runs a Dana 30, trussed and gusseted with RCV shafts and 5.13 gears. Wheels it pretty hard.

He doesn't expect the gears to last all that long, but what the hell, gears are cheap. LOL!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may not be the best axle but if you do all your own work it cuts down on the cost difference a lot.. I'm running 35s on an open 30 with 4.88s, a homemade truss, and c gussets wheel the piss out of it and I've had problems but none that I had to spend a ton to fix. I've snapped the ears on one shaft, snapped a few u-joints, and blew the ring and pinion on the stock gears lol. I bought take off shafts on Craigslist and I just bought lifetime warranty u joints. I'd rather have the shaft the weak point because it's a pretty easy trail fix.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

A 5.13 ratio pinion gear is quite small, and not strong in the D30. If you need that ratio, you probably have big tires and should consider at least the Mopar performance D44 with heavier tubes.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I have D30 with 5:13's, trutrac, sleeved, Synergy ball joints and c gussets. I know it weak and try to treat it as such. I try not to spin tires and just ease through /over things. Use winch in stead of trying to power through. I have less in it than after market axle and if goes hope to replace with pro rock/ G2 or similar axle. Just me and my $.02
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im about to gusset and truss my D30 as well. I'd planned on 4.88s for the jump from 35s to 37s, but looks like I may have to pull a trailer to the East coast. The sporty combination of 35's, 3.73s and a minivan motor for so long has me frustrated and really leaning towards 5.13's. My ego doesn't dictate my wheeling habits, but I didn't buy the Jeep to participate in the waving culture.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anvil15
A 5.13 ratio pinion gear is quite small, and not strong in the D30. If you need that ratio, you probably have big tires and should consider at least the Mopar performance D44 with heavier tubes.
Agreed I found a great deal on rubicon front and rear so I'm going to with that and just truss plus sleeve the front before install.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
Agreed I found a great deal on rubicon front and rear so I'm going to with that and just truss plus sleeve the front before install.
I've had mixed feedback on a truss PLUS sleeves. Some would suggest the sleeves aren't worth it. I'm skipping them on mine, for two reasons. If there does happen to be any deflection in the tubes, or any corrosion on the inside of the tubes, it would be nearly impossible to get the sleeves in. Keep that in mind if you go down that road.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 upgrades worth it?