Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dana 30 truss

Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dana 30 truss

Just recently put 3.5 lift and 35s on 4 door.Now i see everybody says c-gusset is a must and sleeving is a good idea.The gussets i will probably do soon but i was wondering if anybody ever did a truss instead of the sleeve.I would think it would be alot easier maybe doesn't do the job.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rural machine
Just recently put 3.5 lift and 35s on 4 door.Now i see everybody says c-gusset is a must and sleeving is a good idea.The gussets i will probably do soon but i was wondering if anybody ever did a truss instead of the sleeve.I would think it would be alot easier maybe doesn't do the job.
if you don't know what you're doing, installing a truss will actually CAUSE your axle to bend.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default d3 truss

Yeah I can understand that. Just wondering what other options are available while trying to save dollars and not gutting the front end.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 09 sahara unlimited with a 3.5" lift, axle C's and 35's. I was considering sleeving, trussing, getting a new 44, etc and decided that I'm not going to sleeve/truss/replace, but if I really feel I want to wheel harder than I'm going to get into a Rubi.
I might regear, but buffing a 30 really only makes sense if you're doing it for yourself. I felt the the cost of the additional welding gets you into the ball park of a new axle, and a new axle gets you into the ballpark of a downpayment on a rubi.

Last edited by drivingfool; 02-13-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

You know for the additional money you'd end up spending on a rubicon, you could upgrade what you have into something better than a rubicon. There are more and better aftermarket parts than anything Chrysler offers.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drivingfool
I have an 09 sahara unlimited with a 3.5" lift, axle C's and 35's. I was considering sleeving, trussing, getting a new 44, etc and decided that I'm not going to sleeve/truss/replace, but if I really feel I want to wheel harder than I'm going to get into a Rubi.
I might regear, but buffing a 30 really only makes sense if you're doing it for yourself. I felt the the cost of the additional welding gets you into the ball park of a new axle, and a new axle gets you into the ballpark of a downpayment on a rubi.
And with the Rubi you still will have to gusset and sleeve.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
With all the mounts on the front axle and the offset diff a truss is really hard to fab up. I am not saying it is impossible but it would be very difficult and I would really like to see if the gain in strenght would be worth the trouble.
totally agree with all the trouble but even if you could figure it out, you'd still have to figure out how to negatively preload the axle to help compensate for the bending the axle WILL see when welding on the truss. and, even if you can do that, there is no exact science to it and you'd still most likely end up with some unwanted bend.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default d30 truss

Hey lots of good opinions. i would be doing it all myself.Doesn't mean i will though.
i'm sure the most extreme wheeling we'll be doing are logging roads or trails. Just wanted to here ideas.

Quick Reply: dana 30 truss