Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my ARB lockers for over a year now. I've wheeled about twenty big trips, still waiting on D30 to snap. Guess it's better than I expected. lol
Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a D30 and 37" tires. Not one issue for two years. Why fix it if it's not broken?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deltaneo1
I would just buy a good winch and pass on the lockers. Put that money to something else like good tires, Lift, shocks, sleeves, c gussets and 4.88 gear's. Just that alone could be $3500-5000 depending on what you get. Depends on the off roadin you are going to be doing too. So this stuff isn't cheap and once you catch the bug you will be in trouble. My wife wants to kill me sometimes when I look at stuff online, because she knowns I am about to spend more money.

The best advice I can give you as a new jeeper is to plan it out and know where you want to be or GOAL, and go in steps! EX: lift then sleeves and gussets, then spacers and tires and so on a so forth. I aways try to buy what will need to been done before the actual part's i want to put on. Like the Sleeves and gussets before 35's .. But that is just me!

And I have no problems with d30's ball joints or tie rod ends? What i was told and think that the D30's C's are the same as the D44 same with tie rod and ball joints... But could be wrong!
I second this all around. I would buy a good winch and not worry about lockers for now. There was just a good post about Truetracs a few days ago that Dynatrac chimed in on and gave high praise about thou. If you are keeping the tires on the ground that might be an option I imagine as well now, or at least something to look into. The biggest difference between the d30 and stock d44 are the shafts and the ring and pinion. Everything else is basically the same. To me doing anything really to a d30 is a waste of money for the most part because you cant take what you did with you to an upgrade, and you always are going to have that weak link of the ring and pinion once you go to bigger tires and higher gears.

To give a relative size comparison the ring gear on a d30 is the size of a soft ball, a d60 is the size of your head, and a d44 is right in between. So no matter what you do to make the housing stronger or the shafts better all the force of your entire front drivetrain, wheels, and tires rolling through the worst you can get through is being drivien by a pinion with tiny gears the size of your thumb in a d30.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Just need to clarify something because it looks like a lot of read-and-regurgitate going on here.

I run an Aussie in my front d30. For our JK's (2007 and onward) the Aussie is the ONLY lunchbox locker that will just drop into your front d30 carrier. It will cost $310 directly from the Aussie website, can be done in your garage without professional help (best you be handy or know friends who are. And have the right tools as always) and are pretty awesome IMO. You HAVE to buy the one listed specifically for the JK. Other d30 Aussie lockers will not fit properly in your stock d30 carrier.

Any other lunchbox lockers like lockrites, Spartans, etc will work BUT you have to buy the old TJ d30 carrier as well. Plan on an extra $100 there. Oh and that also means resetting your r&p preload and backlash. For most folks that will cost you a professional install (a few $100 there)

Anyway just to clarify.

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 06-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Just need to clarify something because it looks like a lot of read-and-regurgitate going on here.

I run an Aussie in my front d30. For our JK's (2007 and onward) the Aussie is the ONLY lunchbox locker that will just drop into your front d30 carrier. It will cost $310 directly from the Aussie website, can be done in your garage without professional help (best you be handy or know friends who are. And have the right tools as always) and are pretty awesome IMO. You HAVE to buy the one listed specifically for the JK. Other d30 Aussie lockers will not fit properly in your stock d30 carrier.

Any other lunchbox lockers like lockrites, Spartans, etc will work BUT you have to buy the old TJ d30 carrier as well. Plan on an extra $100 there. Oh and that also means resetting your r&p preload and backlash. For most folks that will cost you a professional install (a few $100 there)

Anyway just to clarify.
Thank you, sir. You actually did tell me everything I was wanting to know about this. Looks like next month's bonus just got spent.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's a good article to read regarding lockers.

Jeep Locker Overview - Jp Magazine

I went through this recently and decided to replace my D30 with a Rubi D44 (with e locker). While doing the install, I added a sleeve, gussets, and diff cover.

When I looked at adding a locker to a D30, it just didn't make sense to build it. Especially because the Rubi D44 has a locker in it and I got a really good deal on a near new '12 D44 that someone replaced with a PR44.

I do a lot of rock crawling and climbs that benefit from a locker and stronger axle though. I considered getting a PR44, but just can't afford that. It would've been over twice as much. I only plan on going to 35's though, not planning on 37's.

Last edited by suicideking; 06-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suicideking
Here's a good article to read regarding lockers.

Jeep Locker Overview - Jp Magazine

I went through this recently and decided to replace my D30 with a Rubi D44 (with e locker). While doing the install, I added a sleeve, gussets, and diff cover.

When I looked at adding a locker to a D30, it just didn't make sense to build it. Especially because the Rubi D44 has a locker in it and I got a really good deal on a near new '12 D44 that someone replaced with a PR44.

I do a lot of rock crawling and climbs that benefit from a locker and stronger axle though. I considered getting a PR44, but just can't afford that. It would've have been over twice as much. I only plan on going to 35's though, not planning on 37's.
Almost convinces me to do Detroit locker in the back and ARB up front...
Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GulfCoastJeeper

Almost convinces me to do Detroit locker in the back and ARB up front...
Reverse that. You want a selectable at the rear. A Detroit, being an auto locker, will lock up under power and relax and allow a majority of steering when you decelerate. For a rear axle, you'll be battling it constantly on road. A buddy of mine runs a Detroit on his cj7 and does not recommend an auto locker for the rear of a DD. if you're trailering it then, heck, do anything. Lincoln lock it, why not.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

And as a word of advice to most newbie JK owners, you don't need lockers unless you play on big rocks. Even on a stock Sport, all JK's come equipped with brake locking differentials. They work just like lockers in all but the toughest and largest rock terrain. Rutted ground, off camber trails, mud, sand - your BLD will get you thru it. I went everywhere and did everything Rubi's did with open diffs and my BLD. Yes even climbing rocks (fairly tough rocks. Not the Moab variety - but stock JK's with BLD's have made it thru Moab too). I would save your money and learn how to wheel with what you got before going to lockers. 90% of the folks on this forum don't need any. You'll be very surprised where a stocker will go. My 2 cents.

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 06-03-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris

Reverse that. You want a selectable at the rear. A Detroit, being an auto locker, will lock up under power and relax and allow a majority of steering when you decelerate. For a rear axle, you'll be battling it constantly on road. A buddy of mine runs a Detroit on his cj7 and does not recommend an auto locker for the rear of a DD. if you're trailering it then, heck, do anything. Lincoln lock it, why not.
This does not apply to longer wheel bases. A Detroit in the rear of a JK Unlimited is fine. I've been running one for a couple of years. Drives great on the road and is awesome off road. A selectable in the front is nice so your not fighting the steering all day when wheeling.

Last edited by hammerhead; 06-03-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.