Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diver_matt

Might not be breakage but a failure is a failure to me. /QUOTE]

Nope, proven results on what's costs more money.

And I can see where the extra money might make sense for SERIOUS crawlers but on a DD that's offroad on weekends?
You wouldn't activate lockers as a DD. Geshhh!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading through this thread. Is a lunchbox locker such as Aussie or truetrac a waste of money for rock crawling? I rock crawl with my rig and have a friend with a D44 that I was going to swap with my 30, until I found out it was the wrong gear and I should just spend the money on a pro rock 44. I've decided to look into the locker route more or less as lunchbox locker since I'm tackling the front. I already have upper and lower C gussets and soon to come chromoly shafts.

This soft locker will be used for rock crawling, no mud.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
After reading through this thread. Is a lunchbox locker such as Aussie or truetrac a waste of money for rock crawling? I rock crawl with my rig and have a friend with a D44 that I was going to swap with my 30, until I found out it was the wrong gear and I should just spend the money on a pro rock 44. I've decided to look into the locker route more or less as lunchbox locker since I'm tackling the front. I already have upper and lower C gussets and soon to come chromoly shafts.

This soft locker will be used for rock crawling, no mud.
An Aussie is a lunchbox but a Truetrac is not. It is a full case gear driven limited slip unit. It's a great unit but not designed for rock crawling.

For your use, doing the lunch box is the best use of your cash until you can afford to step up. However, you'll need to be careful tho because the added stress of the locked up front has the potential to cause a lot of expensive damage.

You may want to consider how you will respond if something expensive fails. Will you just stop wheeling and make the rig drivable until you can afford the PR or will you replace these parts putting your build farther behind? In your case it may be better to do nothing until you can do your upgrade.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac

An Aussie is a lunchbox but a Truetrac is not. It is a full case gear driven limited slip unit. It's a great unit but not designed for rock crawling.

For your use, doing the lunch box is the best use of your cash until you can afford to step up. However, you'll need to be careful tho because the added stress of the locked up front has the potential to cause a lot of expensive damage.

You may want to consider how you will respond if something expensive fails. Will you just stop wheeling and make the rig drivable until you can afford the PR or will you replace these parts putting your build farther behind? In your case it may be better to do nothing until you can do your upgrade.
Thanks! When you talk about added stress. Are we talking about when wheeling or daily driving. I'm sure the factory shafts will not last too long with the lunchbox. Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Thanks! When you talk about added stress. Are we talking about when wheeling or daily driving. I'm sure the factory shafts will not last too long with the lunchbox. Thanks again for the help!
The added stress is when in 4wd. In 2wd the Aussie is invisible except maybe very tight turning (like parking).
Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

The added stress is when in 4wd. In 2wd the Aussie is invisible except maybe very tight turning (like parking).
Would you say it's a matter of time or pushing the rig too hard for the breakage?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlfan06
I just got stuck a couple weeks ago in mud simply because I didn't have lockers. I had 1 tire in the F/R on solid ground but they wouldn't move. Then again 2k or so is a lot for that fix. I'd rather get a bumper and winch because of the weak D30..
Learn to use your existing traction control and it will help you in this situation. while your spinning in the mud lightly touch your brakes. This causes the system to send power to the opposite wheel since neither is spinning freely. Once it transfers the power you will walk right out. It has helped me multiple times.

Lockers are nice, don't get me wrong. Keep looking for rubi 44's somewhere used and save money. Winch has saved me multiple times
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Would you say it's a matter of time or pushing the rig too hard for the breakage?
Ya never know. Sometimes you can go on for years, other times one little bump and 'pop'.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Ya never know. Sometimes you can go on for years, other times one little bump and 'pop'.
Thank you for the great advice!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Locking a Dana 30 on 35s sounds like a waste of money. I would buy a Dana 44 and leave it open

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 01-17-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.