Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can view YouTube about this, search Quadartec ARB air locker.. There's a test result with the differences of other lockers. ARB can handle more stress load on the diffs, and cause less damage to the internal gears.. Here's a pic of the results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3237034096.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	162419  
Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark
I have a black 2011 2 door sport 6 speed and thinking of going 35s to start with this is my first jeep also. My question is this how long would my d30 last with a arb locker sleeves c gussets and 4.88 gears i would also put a arb in the rear. And will consider doing chromoly shafts f/r if its really needed. I do absolutly no rock crawling there are no rocks to be found where I stay more mud than anything. I talked to a guy that's going to be doin my gear work for me and he told me my ball joints and tie rod ends wouldnt last long with the 35s is there a way to prevent this? If any of you guys are running a similar setup please chime in and give me some advice.
2-door jk would not be a problem. I ran a weaker 30 in a TJ for 3 years without any problems and that included some hard wheeling. Keep the u-joints lubed.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

I run a Dana30 with Sleeves, gussets, ect, 4.88's, and a locker.....No problems at all except the fkin Jeep will go ANYWHERE you point it to go!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

How does the Detroit locker work is it a delectable? And doesn't the lockright locker keep your front locked all the time?
The are both auto-lockers. A Lockright/Aussie/etc are lunchbox lockers, which means they get installed inside your stock carrier. The Detroit is full case, so it takes the place of your factory carrier and is much stronger. These tend to have issues when driving snow/ice, which may not be an issue for you. Lunchboxes are cheap, but when installed in the rear will tend to wear out faster. So a lunchbox front / detroit rear may be a better option than running two lunchboxes.

Up front, other than a little noise on occasion, you should not notice an autolocker until you actually shift in to 4wd. In the rear, you will soon get used to the handling and won't even notice it. (Except for maybe sharp turns into parking spots and such?)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepJKRiders
You can view YouTube about this, search Quadartec ARB air locker.. There's a test result with the differences of other lockers. ARB can handle more stress load on the diffs, and cause less damage to the internal gears.. Here's a pic of the results.
You mean the video made and posted on youtube by Quadratec....who sells ARB? I don't think they sell any other air locker so obviously that video would be highly biased. I'm sure another manufacturer could pay one of it's largest distributors to produce a video suggesting their's is the better product.

Last edited by diver_matt; 06-04-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diver_matt
You mean the video made and posted on youtube by Quadratec....who sells ARB? I don't think they sell any other air locker so obviously that video would be highly biased. I'm sure another manufacturer could pay one of it's largest distributors to produce a video suggesting their's is the better product.
I assume you're talking about this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

The Yukon/Randy's design is a copy of a model ARB no longer makes. The old model had significant issues with bolt retention. This video also shows a difference in materials as the pinion gears failed. This locker will be fine for some but it's not as strong as some other competitors.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Will do thanks for the info. If any of you guys are running 35s on your d30 are you having any problems with your ball joints or tie rod ends?
I'm running 35s on Dana 30 for almost 2 years and has done many off road driving but mostly desert/dune crossings and had no issues at all.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

I have a black 2011 2 door sport 6 speed and thinking of going 35s to start with this is my first jeep also. My question is this how long would my d30 last with a arb locker sleeves c gussets and 4.88 gears i would also put a arb in the rear. And will consider doing chromoly shafts f/r if its really needed. I do absolutly no rock crawling there are no rocks to be found where I stay more mud than anything. I talked to a guy that's going to be doin my gear work for me and he told me my ball joints and tie rod ends wouldnt last long with the 35s is there a way to prevent this? If any of you guys are running a similar setup please chime in and give me some advice.
I just went through this same question with my jeep (09 4dr unlimited x) My friend who owns his own jeep business told me its senseless to dump a bunch of money into an aftermarket axle until you actually need it. A gusseted an sleeved D30 is fine, combined with a locker and chromoly shafts it will last indefinately. The problem arises when the front end leaves the ground and comes back down under power. If you don't plan on pre-running the baja 1000 or doing the king of the hammers your D30 will bring you and your wallet years of joy.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zig650
I just went through this same question with my jeep (09 4dr unlimited x) My friend who owns his own jeep business told me its senseless to dump a bunch of money into an aftermarket axle until you actually need it. A gusseted an sleeved D30 is fine, combined with a locker and chromoly shafts it will last indefinately. The problem arises when the front end leaves the ground and comes back down under power. If you don't plan on pre-running the baja 1000 or doing the king of the hammers your D30 will bring you and your wallet years of joy.
Regardless of my affiliation with Dynatrac I completely disagree.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I assume you're talking about this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

The Yukon/Randy's design is a copy of a model ARB no longer makes. The old model had significant issues with bolt retention. This video also shows a difference in materials as the pinion gears failed. This locker will be fine for some but it's not as strong as some other competitors.
For every driver with a problem with Yukon I'm sure there's another that's had an ARB problem. Might not be breakage but a failure is a failure to me. And I can see where the extra money might make sense for SERIOUS crawlers but on a DD that's offroad on weekends? Unlikely I'll ever put it under that much stress. If I decide to go that route, I'll be coming to see you first.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.