Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.

I have a black 2011 2 door sport 6 speed and thinking of going 35s to start with this is my first jeep also. My question is this how long would my d30 last with a arb locker sleeves c gussets and 4.88 gears i would also put a arb in the rear. And will consider doing chromoly shafts f/r if its really needed. I do absolutly no rock crawling there are no rocks to be found where I stay more mud than anything. I talked to a guy that's going to be doin my gear work for me and he told me my ball joints and tie rod ends wouldnt last long with the 35s is there a way to prevent this? If any of you guys are running a similar setup please chime in and give me some advice.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just doing mudding then I say forget about any lockers. I have been running 35s for about a year and most of the time I don't even air down and this thing climbs stutter steps with soft and hard mixed in and hardly ever spins a tire before it just keeps on going up. I always have the front disconnected so it can flex for max traction and it acts like it already has lockers. I say save your money for something other than lockers.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm new to the jeep world, as well. From what I've read/learned, seems lockers don't need to go real high on the list thanks to the existing traction control. A locker is better than stock but there are other areas in more need. Gears is obviously one example. I'd say save the money from all those things and just get a D44 for the front and swap gears. All the things you're considering, you could probably get an built D44 slightly used for the same costs.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

I just got stuck a couple weeks ago in mud simply because I didn't have lockers. I had 1 tire in the F/R on solid ground but they wouldn't move. Then again 2k or so is a lot for that fix. I'd rather get a bumper and winch because of the weak D30..
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

I would like to buy a Dana 44 for the front and might even go that route but even the mopar 44 with e locker and 4.10s is $3000 and I would have to change out gears on it as well that's buying it new of coarse. I could build the d30 for a lot cheaper than that. I would only run 35s on it if I get the itch to go bigger ill upgrade. Also this isn't my daily driver.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default no need for lockers

been running my 35's for a year now and i just regeared a few months ago to 4.88 and that will make a difference big enough that you'll perform just as well as a locked up jeep in mud...rocks its a different story. i'm not going to lock i'm just working on getting my opens to keep spinning...

key to it all...don't stop keep pushing till your out

http://youtu.be/LEQXHMW_N8s

check that out...those are all open and as you can see they don't spin out untill i center it on that ledge

enjoy
Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the advice man I can't watch your video for some reason though what about the durability of the d30 on 35s will it last a good while are c gussets and sleeves a good idea?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Have C Gussets welded in. Skip the two thousand dollar arb setup and go with a lunchbox or a truetrac up front and a truetrac or detroit in back. Put the savings in the bank and consider a PR at some point in the future.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Have C Gussets welded in. Skip the two thousand dollar arb setup and go with a lunchbox or a truetrac up front and a truetrac or detroit in back. Put the savings in the bank and consider a PR at some point in the future.
What's a lunchbox locker? Are these electric lockers your talking about could you explain the differences?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

The brand would be Sparton or lockrite for the front, basically it engages when you put the jeep into 4WD. And then you can get a selectable locker for the rear

Quick Reply: Dana 30 with locker. Give me some advice.